Thread: Unable to upgrade to 11.10

Beans

Unable to upgrade to 11.10

I tried to upgrade to 11.10 today. When I clicked the "Upgrade Now" button in the Update Manager, it told me I needed something like 4 GB available on my / partition and I only have a little less than 2. That's fine, I have other partitions with plenty of space on them. I decided to download a .iso, mount it and do a CD upgrade.

I added the ISO file successfully using "apt-cdrom add" and tried again, using do-release-upgrade. I got back the following errors and 11.10 refused to install:

Code:
    W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 11.10 _Oneiric Ocelot_ - Release 
    amd64 (20111012)/dists/oneiric/Release Unable to find expected entry 
    'restricted/binary-i386/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list 
    entry or malformed file) 
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 11.10 _Oneiric Ocelot_ - Release 
    amd64 (20111012)/dists/oneiric/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use 
    apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update 
    cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs 
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or 
    old ones used instead.
    I am using the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 11.04 currently. I downloaded ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso from ubuntu.com. Does anyone have any idea for what's going wrong or what I can do to upgrade my current system?

Beans

Re: Unable to upgrade to 11.10

I've decided to just uninstall several packages that I don't need and I'm able to install the upgrade now. But if anyone has any insight into why I couldn't use the .iso file to upgrade, I'd like to know that, too.

Beans

The space needs to be free in the root directory signified by /

if there is not enough room in it then the partition for it needs expanding or files need to
    be removed ..... but seeing as most are needed system files ......

The best way is to always create your / root partiition a reasonable size when first installing Linux .....

20 Gig is usually quite adequate ...... but some of mine especially after lots of upgrades
    are bigger ...... 40 Gig to 60 Gig ...... should cover most users for a long long time.

there are tools to help you clean up a little too .....

apt-get clean (removes the old compressed packages it uses to upgrade with

bleachbit (this program has a lot of things already set up in it to help you tidy your system up )

hope this helps in some way ......

Beans

Yeah, I ended up uninstalling a bunch of debug packages, some compiler packages and a couple of games. I only allocated 12GB for my / directory. It's worked for every upgrade in the past. I just don't know why I couldn't upgrade using the .iso file.