well done;

what led you to

adding 'nmcli nm wwan on' to the startup apps solved the problem for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: USB Broadband no longer working

Quote Originally Posted by iamnotthemessiah View Post
    adding 'nmcli nm wwan on' to the startup apps solved the problem for me, completely, procedure is as follows:
    add 'nmcli nm wwan on' to startup apps
    reboot
    click on 'enable mobile broadband' in the nm indicator
    edit my connection and enable 'connect automaticly'
    rebooting again and im connected when the desktop is loaded
    I tried your suggestion and it did not work. Thanks tho

Beans

thats a shame lord, after multiple reboots i can confirm that this works 100% here...u added the command without the '' didnt you?
    what happens if u, when the mobile broadband entry is not present in the nm applet menu, put "nmcli nm wwan on" in a terminal? does it appear in the menu after a few seconds?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamnotthemessiah View Post
    thats a shame lord, after multiple reboots i can confirm that this works 100% here...u added the command without the '' didnt you?
    what happens if u, when the mobile broadband entry is not present in the nm applet menu, put "nmcli nm wwan on" in a terminal? does it appear in the menu after a few seconds?
    No it doesn't. I did not have quotes in my line either. The command executes fine, does not print anything in the terminal window, returns me to a prompt and nothing changes. I tried executing it as root (sudo) as well, same results.

I know the modem works as I can still boot to the live CD and connect or use Saki3g and connect. As pointed out before Saki3g is not acceptable tho as Ubuntu does not realize it is online.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi LordVeovis

the udev seems to be ok IE the correct bits are there for modem managers to pickup

still not sure what the problem is

can go to this old thread:Re: Natty, known bugs, fixes and work arounds post : #30

first look at the :" testing modem-manager : need to download mm-test.py"

use sakis3g for the download (hope the wget is on the system) if not can use the url in the web page and save file to home directory, then python ./path to

run the test see what it shows up

also look at how to debug modem manager and network manager

can also suggest , if all else is failing , try reinstall modem-manager and possible network manager,

regards

alexfish
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Post Re: USB Broadband no longer working

My dmesg | grep tty looks like this :
    Code:
    [    0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
    [   42.673991] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [   42.674068] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    [   53.139204] option1 ttyUSB0: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
    [   58.708070] option1 ttyUSB1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
    [   58.877504] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [   58.877633] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    [   68.130964] option1 ttyUSB1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
    [   74.883177] option1 ttyUSB0: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
    [   75.052777] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [   75.052978] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    [   84.122085] option1 ttyUSB1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
    [   91.066154] option1 ttyUSB0: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
    [   91.235357] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [   91.235536] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    [  102.112144] option1 ttyUSB1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
    [  107.241349] option1 ttyUSB0: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
    [  107.418585] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [  107.418724] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    [  117.103849] option1 ttyUSB1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
    [  123.424375] option1 ttyUSB0: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
    [  123.593805] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [  123.594263] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    [  133.095063] option1 ttyUSB1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
    [  139.611457] option1 ttyUSB0: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
    [  139.783376] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [  139.783884] usb 2-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    looks like modem continue disconnect or disable by network manager

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: USB Broadband no longer working

there's also something strange happen when I plug my modem..random freeze occurs after i'm typing 5 word..every things freeze for 5 second and then getting back! but when i unplug modem..every things normal again!! it never happen on maverick.

could someone explain this?

thx

Beans

Lightbulb Re: USB Broadband no longer working

I've been getting this problem too since I upgraded to 11.10. The core of it seems to be an error in the option driver. If you have a look at your full dmesg output (without the |grep tty) you'll see a lot of errors like:

"option_instat_callback: error -108".

There are a few old bugs over at launchpad that claim to have fixed this problem in earlier kernel versions. But either they didn't fix it, or there has been a regression on the way to the version 3.0 kernel. I'm seeing the freezing too, with my machine not even accepting mouse input for around 5 seconds at a time. I have a Huawei E160 broadband modem.

I have found a workaround though.

Rather than using Network Manager, I tried to connect to my provider using pppd and pon as per the instructions contained here:

http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutoria...ndUSBmodem.php

Try following these - and don't worry that these are for a specific Irish mobile broadband provider - you won't actually be using pon to connect. I found that if I followed these instructions and tried to connect using "sudo pon" at the end, I got an error from pon, but my modem started working through the Network Manager Applet again.

You might have to run "sudo pon" a couple of times, but once you get the SIG_HUP error and a message about ttyUSB0 looping, your Network Manager Applet should work again.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but I suspect that the "AT" commands in /etc/chatscripts/pap might be helping in some way. What I've noticed is that when you check dmesg after it starts working again, the device is now using ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2 instead of ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1. That seems to get it going again.

Obviously this is just a workaround, but hopefully it will give somebody who knows more than me a clue as to where the problem lies.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alexfish View Post
    Hi LordVeovis

the udev seems to be ok IE the correct bits are there for modem managers to pickup

still not sure what the problem is

can go to this old thread:Re: Natty, known bugs, fixes and work arounds post : #30

first look at the :" testing modem-manager : need to download mm-test.py"

use sakis3g for the download (hope the wget is on the system) if not can use the url in the web page and save file to home directory, then python ./path to

run the test see what it shows up

also look at how to debug modem manager and network manager

can also suggest , if all else is failing , try reinstall modem-manager and possible network manager,

regards

alexfish
    Sorry for the delay, was diving the great barrier reef.

I ran the script and recieved a 'No modems found' reply then back to the command prompt.

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: USB Broadband no longer working

Quote Originally Posted by lphilp00 View Post
    I've been getting this problem too since I upgraded to 11.10. The core of it seems to be an error in the option driver. If you have a look at your full dmesg output (without the |grep tty) you'll see a lot of errors like:

"option_instat_callback: error -108".

There are a few old bugs over at launchpad that claim to have fixed this problem in earlier kernel versions. But either they didn't fix it, or there has been a regression on the way to the version 3.0 kernel. I'm seeing the freezing too, with my machine not even accepting mouse input for around 5 seconds at a time. I have a Huawei E160 broadband modem.

I have found a workaround though.

Rather than using Network Manager, I tried to connect to my provider using pppd and pon as per the instructions contained here:

http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutoria...ndUSBmodem.php

Try following these - and don't worry that these are for a specific Irish mobile broadband provider - you won't actually be using pon to connect. I found that if I followed these instructions and tried to connect using "sudo pon" at the end, I got an error from pon, but my modem started working through the Network Manager Applet again.

You might have to run "sudo pon" a couple of times, but once you get the SIG_HUP error and a message about ttyUSB0 looping, your Network Manager Applet should work again.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but I suspect that the "AT" commands in /etc/chatscripts/pap might be helping in some way. What I've noticed is that when you check dmesg after it starts working again, the device is now using ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2 instead of ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1. That seems to get it going again.

Obviously this is just a workaround, but hopefully it will give somebody who knows more than me a clue as to where the problem lies.
    are the freeze still there?? it's really annoying with the freeze things. hope new kernell will fix it lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast