Thread: Samba and File Sharing

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Samba and File Sharing

Hi there. I believe this would be the forum for this, but I beg you pardon if it isn't.

I recently ran into some complications that require me to reinstall Xubuntu, but I have files on my computer, with nowhere to go. I want to connect my computer to my router/modem with an ethernet cable, and transfer them across my local(home) network to another computer, so I can get them later after reinstalling.

I was directed towards something called Samba, but I don't really know what it is, or how to get it started.

So basically, can someone direct me towards a very user-friendly how-to thread/site, or explain to me here how to get started?

Also, if it makes a difference, I'm currently running off a startup disk, since I don't have access to an actual installation.

Beans

Re: Samba and File Sharing

Hi,

You can try doing something like this:

sudo apt-get install samba

(That will install both the samba server and the samba client)

Then use a command like this:

nautilus smb://<IP Address Of Windows Machine>/c$

After that you maybe prompted for a user name and password, enter the details of an account that has Administrator rights.

PS. nautilus is a GNOME application, I do not know the equivalent in KDE

Hope that helps!

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, so I installed samba that way, and then had to install nautilus, but then when I did the command, a popup window appeared:

What do I do now?
    Do I put in my password, or the username and password for the computer I'm trying to connect with?

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by DaimyoKirby View Post
    Ok, so I installed samba that way, and then had to install nautilus, but then when I did the command, a popup window appeared:

What do I do now?
    Do I put in my password, or the username and password for the computer I'm trying to connect with?
    I would think you should use the user/pass of a user on the Windows machine. Try all combinations and see what happens.

I assume you are using a LiveCD and at the present you are logged in as the user ubuntu and windows has no idea who that is. In addition you are trying to open an admin share. Do you have another share further down the tree?

Beans
    Hidden!

I tried my laptop's name (ubuntu) and password, a logged-in account on the pc's username and password, and neither worked.
    What do you mean by another share? Is that a folder or something that is sharing between the two computers?

Also, as a side note, I was using samba, and I managed to have the folder show up on my laptop, under network, and it also shows up my pc. The only problem is now permissions. I can drop a file into the folder (public on ubuntu), but I don't have the permissions to open the file in the folder, move/copy it from the folder, and my pc can't drop files into the folder or open the files.

So how would I change the permissions?
    Last edited by DaimyoKirby; October 16th, 2011 at 01:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by DaimyoKirby View Post
    What do you mean by another share? Is that a folder or something that is sharing between the two computers?
    Both Windows and Samba share folders of files. The folder that you are trying to enter is the root of the file (C$) system and is for administrators only. If you share another folder (say one in your home directory) you will have easier permissions.

Also, as a side note, I was using samba, and I managed to have the folder show up on my laptop, under network, and it also shows up my pc. The only problem is now permissions. I can drop a file into the folder (public on ubuntu), but I don't have the permissions to open the file in the folder, move/copy it from the folder, and my pc can't drop files into the folder or open the files.

So how would I change the permissions?
    How did you create the share?

can you post the output from the terminal of this
    Code:
    testparm -s
    Last edited by capscrew; October 16th, 2011 at 02:05 AM.