Quote Originally Posted by tomqaz View Post
I have Asus k50 with HDA ATI SB sound card. After installing ubuntu 11.10 i had this same problem (miusic playing from speakers and front at the same time).

In ubuntu 11.04 sounds was working properly (I was only forced to volume up the speakers after every reboot.)

I solved this problem as follows:

add new repository

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
update it

Code:
sudo apt-get update
install old kernel version

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic
install alsa drivers

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-alsa-driver-3.0.0-15-generic linux-alsa-driver-modules-3.0.0-15-generic
To get it works you must starts your system with old kernel version.
Reboot and in grub menu choose "Previous Linux versions" and then next "Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-15-generic"

If you want to this option be choosen by default edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Code:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Copy the entry (menuentry) which includes ver 3.0.0.15 (it should be after "submenu "Previous Linux versions" {") and paste it as a first entry.

In my case it looks like this :
Code:
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-15-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
	recordfail
	set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 997c0499-4633-4f9a-8a48-1cbe5a6c1cb2
	linux	/vmlinuz-3.0.0-15-generic root=UUID=8a9a10b3-7a6c-42f9-917b-2cdce329f154 ro   quiet splash vt.handoff=7
	initrd	/initrd.img-3.0.0-15-generic
}
This seemed to work for me at first, but then it started doing strange things.
When I plug in my headphone, it doens't always give sound right away, when i play with the volume it suddenly starts.
When I plug out my headphone my speakers won't always start automaticly.
Anyone else has this problem? Or a solution?
Or even better, a solution that doesn't require going to an older version of linux and just works in the 3.0.0-16-generic?