Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 sound from both speakers and headphones

Beans

11.10 sound from both speakers and headphones

Hi, I installed Ubuntu on my Asus K70A series and I have a problem with sound playing from both speakers of the notebook and headphones. I can't solve the problem.

I have tried to change some settings in alsamixer, that I found on the internet, though I wasn't successfull. What's more, now I cannot change the 'Headphones' file in alsamixer, it's all greyed out.

I have tried to install gnome-alsamixer, but it won't open, giving me some very long error report in terminal.

First of all I'd like to get the 'Headphones' file in Alsamixer enabled again. I've tried to find some way to reset settings for alsa-driver to defaults, but failed to find one. From what I tried to find out, there maybe isn't even such option, because I've never found any information on doing so anywhere, but Google suggest makes me believe, there are many people trying to find some way to do it as well.

And I'd like to sort out my problem with sound playing from both speakers and headphones primarily, which is why I tried to do something in the alsamixer in the first place. Anyone has any ideas, as of what could I do?

Also if I could please ask you to explain me your ideas more thoroughly, since I am new to Ubuntu. Thank you very much, your help is much appreciated

Beans

Re: 11.10 sound from both speakers and headphones

Hi,

Try this video, I was unable to open ALSA, but follow the instructions in this vid and you should be ok. Now I just need to figure out how to use spdif..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvcXT...e_gdata_player

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Angry Re: 11.10 sound from both speakers and headphones

he all

i have exact the same problem on a ASUS N71Vn.
    This notebook has two headphone connectors.
    Shot: http://i.imgur.com/XIQzX.png

I tried some with AlsaMixer too.. and it's still the same problem:
    AlsaMixer screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/qxbxZ.png

This is what happens if i plugin headphones:

Connector: Headphone (see shot from notebook)
    AlsaMixer Channel: Headphone1
    If Headphone is plugged in, i hear sound in Headphone and Speaker. The volume from speaker doesn't change.
    If i mute Heahphone1 in AlsaMixer, Headphone1 will be muted.
    If i mute Headphone2 in AlsaMixer, Master, Headphone2 and Speaker are muted and i need to unmute each of them to get sound back.
    If i change volume from Master, Speaker or PCM volume in Headphone and Speaker are changed.

Connector: Headphone SPDIF (see shot from notebook)
    AlsaMixer Channel: Headphone2
    If Headphone is plugged in, i hear sound in Headphone and Speaker, but the volume/sound in the Speakers is changing. Normally in Speakers it's like a 3D sound, now with Headphone plugged in on connector "Headphone SPDIF" 3D sound is gone and also less bass.
    If i mute Headphone1 in AlsaMixer, nothing changes.
    If i mute Headphone2 in AlsaMixer, Master, Headphone2 and Speaker are muted and i need to unmute each of them to get sound back.
    If i change volume from Master, Speaker or PCM volume in Headphone and Speaker are changed.

Here are some system information:
    sudo lshw
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/714852/

sudo lspci -vvv
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/714853/

sudo lsusb -vvv
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/714854/

sudo lsb_release -a
    LSB Version: core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:cxx-3.0-amd64:cxx-3.0-noarch:cxx-3.1-amd64:cxx-3.1-noarch:cxx-3.2-amd64:cxx-3.2-noarch:cxx-4.0-amd64:cxx-4.0-noarch:desktop-3.1-amd64:desktop-3.1-noarch:desktop-3.2-amd64:desktop-3.2-noarch:desktop-4.0-amd64:desktop-4.0-noarch:graphics-2.0-amd64:graphics-2.0-noarch:graphics-3.0-amd64:graphics-3.0-noarch:graphics-3.1-amd64:graphics-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.2-amd64:graphics-3.2-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarchrinting-3.2-amd64rinting-3.2-noarchrinting-4.0-amd64rinting-4.0-noarch:qt4-3.1-amd64:qt4-3.1-noarch
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 11.10
    Release: 11.10
    Codename: oneiric

uname -a
    Linux poseidon 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 14:56:25 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

If you need more information, i'm here to post them

Thanks a lot for help.

greetings from switzerland
    thomi

Beans
    Distro

Hey all

No news here?

Please.. help

Thanks
    thomi

Beans

First, a disclaimer: I do not count myself as an expert in these matters and my instructions below are based on a trial-and-error approach!

These are the steps I took to correct the same issue while using ubuntu 10.10:

Modify /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to add this line:

options snd-hda-intel model=sony-assamd

(My laptop is not Sony, it's Fujitsu but this did seem to solve it - other values did not work)

run: sudo alsa force-reload (I also rebooted after this step)

I also changed the sound preferences to have a Hardware Profile of Analog Stereo Output

HTH,

Beans
    Distro

hey and thanks...

tried it.. but doesn't work for me..

other hints are welcome

thomi

Beans

Hey, i also have a problem with the sound. after i fixed my screen brightness problem with the following, the sound doesn't work.. do you know what the problem may be?

Run the following command in Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    Find the following line:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    Change it to the following:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
    Now Run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    3. Reboot[/QUOTE]

Beans

simple fix

Code:
     echo "options snd-hda-intel model=asus" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    Reboot

original thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1774627&page=2
    My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite Pro, Intel core 2 duo 2.4GH ,4 GB RAM,250 GB HDD, DVD RW, 512 MB Graphics card.
    Light, Love & Prosperity in Abundance!!!

Beans

[SOLVED] Re: 11.10 sound from both speakers and headphones

I've got a HP DM4 1063cl with a Intel audio chip and Ubuntu 11.10 fresh install.
    Here's the lspci output:

# lspci | grep -i audio
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan HDMI Audio [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series] (rev ff)

# cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec
    Codec: IDT 92HD81B1X5

When I plug the headphones, music It's still playing through the speakers.

To fix this I add to the config file:

options snd-hda-intel model=auto

and reboot, because unloading and loading modules doesn't work for me, I supposed something with pulse.
    Now when I plug the headphones mute light indicator turns on and laptop speakers are muted.

Beans

I have Asus k50 with HDA ATI SB sound card. After installing ubuntu 11.10 i had this same problem (miusic playing from speakers and front at the same time).

In ubuntu 11.04 sounds was working properly (I was only forced to volume up the speakers after every reboot.)

I solved this problem as follows:

add new repository

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
    update it

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    install old kernel version

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic
    install alsa drivers

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-alsa-driver-3.0.0-15-generic linux-alsa-driver-modules-3.0.0-15-generic
    To get it works you must starts your system with old kernel version.
    Reboot and in grub menu choose "Previous Linux versions" and then next "Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-15-generic"

If you want to this option be choosen by default edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Code:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Copy the entry (menuentry) which includes ver 3.0.0.15 (it should be after "submenu "Previous Linux versions" {") and paste it as a first entry.

In my case it looks like this :
    Code:
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-15-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	recordfail
    	set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
    	insmod gzio
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
    	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 997c0499-4633-4f9a-8a48-1cbe5a6c1cb2
    	linux	/vmlinuz-3.0.0-15-generic root=UUID=8a9a10b3-7a6c-42f9-917b-2cdce329f154 ro   quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    	initrd	/initrd.img-3.0.0-15-generic
    }
    Last edited by tomqaz; February 27th, 2012 at 11:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast