Thread: A different kind of failed upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A different kind of failed upgrade

Normally people get stuck with no GUI session because they lack proper VGA drivers setup. Others are stuck at purple screen, but in the end it's the same problem with a touch of plymouth. Wubi dudes get stuck at no grub or grub rescue.

Yet, there seems to be a growing number of cases like this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1860359

I have no idea what happened in this cases. Some apparently have no way of using their NIC. Others just don't have fixed/dhcp IP and DNS set. Either way, they seem to not have have all 11.10 packages installed. Those with Internet can't run apt-get update/upgrade, dist-upgrade, do-release-upgrade, etc. Some have lsb_release pointing to 11.04, other 11.10.

Do you have any clue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: A different kind of failed upgrade

Have a look at this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dm/+bug/864174

Post #6 seems to be a workable solution

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I'll see if it fits these guys situation.

Btw, nice beard.

EDIT: I'll report back, just waiting for some word for them. Hope you're right. It only tricks me why they have broken dependencies, inability to update/upgrade, etc.
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; October 15th, 2011 at 04:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro

My first question to those who are having probs with install would be "Did you use a torrent to do your download". I mean , really , how many check the integrity of their downloads?

During Maveric and beta testing of natty I had some wicked problems with Unity and wireless drivers. One long_time user commented that "the devs are just having some fun with you". I did not buy it then and I don't buy it now.

I do know that if I do a download from , lets say, The University of Waterloo in Canada that I am going to get a valid download 99.9 % of the time .. but, as time has proven, if I use a torrent then I am always setting myself up for a re-mixed mirror and that install can be hacked till the cows come home .. so then I'm just *issing against the wind if I start bellyaching about a failed install.
    Last edited by ventrical; October 15th, 2011 at 02:54 PM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

used "main" server (as usual)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    My first question to those who are having probs with install would be "Did you use a torrent to do your download". I mean , really , how many check the integrity of their downloads?
    I used a torrent to get 11.10 and then only did a md5sum before I made a live USB which worked as it should.

I've used torrents three times so far and all of them gave me satisfactory results (matching md5sums and functional live USBs.)

I did not check the integrity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I used a torrent to get 11.10 and then only did a md5sum before I made a live USB which worked as it should.

I've used torrents three times so far and all of them gave me satisfactory results (matching md5sums and functional live USBs.)

I did not check the integrity.
    Well thats a great plug for torrents. They have a come a long way. Perhaps I can only point at my own personal experience and re-specify that when I used torrents I was operating under the Windows xP system. I am not saying that chances for a corrupt .iso copy are likley while using Windows XP. I'm just pointing to my own experience from my locale.

And just a side note. I have always been willing to download from an alternate site just to eliminate the chance (or greatly reduce it) of a bad copy. Less downtime really , IMHO.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Well thats a great plug for torrents. They have a come a long way. Perhaps I can only point at my own personal experience and re-specify that when I used torrents I was operating under the Windows xP system. I am not saying that chances for a corrupt .iso copy are likley while using Windows XP. I'm just pointing to my own experience from my locale.

And just a side note. I have always been willing to download from an alternate site just to eliminate the chance (or greatly reduce it) of a bad copy. Less downtime really , IMHO.
    out of all the distros I've used, I think I've used the download link from websites only two or three times, the others were torrents. Never had a problem with a torrent download, though I didget a corrupt Maverick iso from ubuntu.com.

Beans
    Distro

Then there must be some real hard-core compatability problems with lots of pcs out there, obsoleted hardware and the likes. So if ya don't got the 3D graphics - forget Unity then!

sort of reminds me of that Pink Floyd line -"If ya don't eat your meat ya can't have any pudding -- how can ya have any pudding if ya don't eat your meat?" lol