Thread: Why do people use the upgrade option?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Why do people use the upgrade option?

Hi,
    I am sincere when I ask this. One of the first things I learned when I switched to linux was that it is always better to do a fresh install and just configure your settings again. I use a flash drive for all important data so I don't accidentally lose anything. I can install any distro at any time without any real fuss.(I am a junky and try distros all of the time)

I just want to know if there is a an advantage to upgrading that I am just not seeing. There are sooooo many threads asking for help because an upgrade broke machines...just askin'.

Thanks,

Penny

Beans

Re: Why do people use the upgrade option?

I use the upgrade option because I don't want to go through the hassle of setting everything up again. Since I started using Ubuntu with Dapper Drake (whenever that was), I've always upgraded. The only issues I've ever had are with graphics drivers, and they're usually pretty easy to sort out.

The only time I've done a full install of a new release is a couple of months ago when my primary hard disk died.

Having said that, I always leave upgrading for a month or so - that way I know most of the issues will have been ironed out.

It would be interesting to know how many successful upgrades there are vs failures, but we'll never know - by definition you'll only hear from the people for whom it didn't work.

Steve.

Beans

Upgrading is 100% recommended and supported, see here for easy instructions:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/upgrade

The only time I've seen people run into problems is trying to upgrade without quitting X first. If you have trouble then reboot in text mode and follow the "server upgrade" instructions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
    Hi,
    I am sincere when I ask this. One of the first things I learned when I switched to linux was that it is always better to do a fresh install and just configure your settings again. I use a flash drive for all important data so I don't accidentally lose anything. I can install any distro at any time without any real fuss.(I am a junky and try distros all of the time)

I just want to know if there is a an advantage to upgrading that I am just not seeing. There are sooooo many threads asking for help because an upgrade broke machines...just askin'.

Thanks,

Penny
    An upgrade saves you having to go through the whole setup and configuring your system process. Obviously if the upgrade goes well, then time is saved, but if it doesn't then you may need to spend a bit more time troubleshooting and fixing things. I always upgrade from the command line though and so far so good.

Beans

The upgrade option can be good .....

But be aware for some its not all plain sailing ....... and can be best to wait
    a while till some of the awkward bugs are ironed out .....

Check the link below ..... just two days have gone and there are now a wide variety of problems ..... the main I have listed at the top .....

Hopefully now the login and password one has been fixed ...... Xauthority problem.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use the upgrade option because there have now been three releases of Ubuntu that I can't install any other way since the installer or syslinux hangs on my hardware.