Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wondering what did everyone do to learn.

Beans

Wondering what did everyone do to learn.

Hey guys,

I was wondering what is your best way of learning Ubuntu in and out. I always want to learn about it but never knew the best way going about it. But i am pursing my Linux+ cert right now and i am always looking for more ways to learn about Linux/unix in general. Please post how you got to learn so much about Ubuntu and what helped you along the way to getting your knowledge of it today.

Thanks,

Beans

Re: Wondering what did everyone do to learn.

Well, back in my Windows days, I got my hands on an old P3 desktop (for free) and put Xubuntu on it. Then, I committed to using it as my primary PC for everyday things, and tried to use it as much as I could over other computers.

I quickly got over the learning curve this way, but there's always more to learn.

In the end, nothing beats just using it and learning how to do more and more things over time.

I also learned a lot by messing with Debian, being a little more "bare-bones" than Ubuntu depending on your particular installation.

I've learned the most from stuff that didn't work right the first time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by donaldhall View Post
    Hey guys,

I was wondering what is your best way of learning Ubuntu in and out. I always want to learn about it but never knew the best way going about it. But i am pursing my Linux+ cert right now and i am always looking for more ways to learn about Linux/unix in general. Please post how you got to learn so much about Ubuntu and what helped you along the way to getting your knowledge of it today.

Thanks,
    I am sure this is not the answer you wished for, but I purchased a Ubuntu book and it has helped me to have a better understanding. I am completely a newb, but have a desire to learn this system and get away from Microsoft. I am only partially through, but the book has answered many basic questions I have had. I think these forums and google offer much information. I also think by asking specific questions and then applying the answer to the user experience of Ubuntu will make you more experienced in this OS.
    Last edited by n8wide; October 13th, 2011 at 10:39 PM.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

At some in the past I had to maintain some Linux servers. Initially I knew only a little about UNIX and even that knowledge came from OpenBSD. Well, experience is the best teacher. E.g. it took me a week to learn shell scripting from zero to "I can do it with my eyes closed". Just because I had to. ;)

Pick a practical task, solve it, pick another one, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Try drinking whiskey, or smoking marijuana, or both, during learning sessions.

I liked to start with adjusting the desktop - window colors and icons.

Then learn the file system, and then software installation.

That's about it except for the security stuff and individual apps.
    Last edited by sidewalkcynic; October 13th, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
    Ubuntu 19.10; Dell 11-3147 upgraded to 480GB SSD, and 8GB RAM

Beans

If you want to learn how to use Linux, the first thing I would do would be remove Ubuntu and install Arch.

You'll learn a lot more by using Arch for a week, than you will by using Ubuntu for three years.

https://archlinux.org
    Beginners' Guide
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by donaldhall View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks,
    Linux + is easier than you think, however using Ubuntu is probably not the best Lnux Distro for it, probably better with fedora even though the cert is distro agnostic.

Get yourself a good Linux + Book such as the Sybex and work your way through it, you will learn all you need for the cert as well as learn alot in general.

The linux cert still deals alot with IRQ/DMA/IO etc which you are not likely to encounter too much these days.

Also try something like Arch or Slackware to get to grips with some real hands on config.

Ubuntu tends to abstract the complex which you will likely need an insight into for the cert.

Also incase you didnt know when you take the Linux + cert (2 exams) you can allow submission of your details to LPI also, which means you get LPI level 1 and Novell CLA as well as the Linux +, so you get 3 certs for the price of 1

and learn the command line well http://linuxcommand.org/
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I started back in the olden days with Slackware 3.0 (actually, I still have an old modem server around here that still has it on a 631MB drive...lol), and stuck to that until 13.1.

Through all that, you learn the configs, how things work, and more important, how they DON'T work.

I came to Ubuntu just because it was alot easier to install one certain program. After that, I always have/had Slackware in a VM to stay current on that, too.

A good way to learn Linux is just to do it. I would reccomend running it in a VM, so if you REALLY bork things up (and you will), you can easily start over again.

The best way to learn is to do. So, do it.
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans

Good stuff guys. I do have a book on Linux+ and i am reading through it at the moment. Its great that everyone learns from doing. I seem to be the same way. So thank you for all your suggestions i will probably do what i can with Arch. See how everything goes. Thanks guys.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think the best way to learn Linux generally is to install Arch Linux or Gentoo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast