Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: problem with asus N55SF

Beans

Re: problem with asus N55SF

Hello everyone !
    So, i installed ubuntu last Sunday. Everything seems to work perfectly except bumblee.
    i can run the command "optirun firefox" for example but my graphic cards fans turn very fast and my laptop is noisy !
    Also it's heating a little bit.
    Could you please help me !
    Thank you

Beans

done everything in ubuntu 12.04. glxspheres gets me ONLY 1 frame per second while if runed with optirun semms to work fine. Also I get the felling battery lasts way less then on win 7.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hiproTn View Post
    Hello everyone !
    So, i installed ubuntu last Sunday. Everything seems to work perfectly except bumblee.
    i can run the command "optirun firefox" for example but my graphic cards fans turn very fast and my laptop is noisy !
    Also it's heating a little bit.
    Thank you
    It sounds perfect to me. The machine should stays quite and cool when you are not using the Geforce card (thanks to bumblebee that turns it off), but only until you put it to work using "optirun application". Why do you think is not working?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfas View Post
    done everything in ubuntu 12.04. glxspheres gets me ONLY 1 frame per second while if runed with optirun semms to work fine. Also I get the felling battery lasts way less then on win 7.
    I've got the same results. I don't know why the performance went down so bad. The driver is the same. About the battery, I'm not using windows at all, but ephestione reported 20 W in win7 (#20), so the battery should last the same as I'm getting similar values. These are my results (in Watts):
    Code:
                    NvidiaOff   NvidiaOn   glxsph.   ScreenOff
    Ubuntu_11.10     16.24        22.12     52.82     -
    Ubuntu_12.04     17.17        23.87     51.96    11.77
    In all cases the machine was idle, but in "glxsph." in which case I had glxspheres running. For more details, see the attached file (funny that I had to add the ".txt" extension to be able to upload it in an linux forum...).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Updated the guide with a fix for the subwoofer (to read more, check this, specially comment #34).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

came to check in here before hitting the 12.04 upgrade... seems everything's fine, maybe better, with precise.
    I'll be upgrading for the rest of the morning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by @gu79 View Post
    Fn + F9 workaround:
    There is a bug and Fn + F9 combination doesn't work (Toggle touchpad). As a workaround (based on this thread), go to System settings / Keyboard / Shortcuts. On the left panel select Custom shortcuts and add a new one with the command: /etc/acpi/asus-touchpad.sh
    Then set a key combination for that command (e.g. Shift + F9, tried Fn + F9 but it doesn't work). That's all, works perfect.
    Hi,

I'm not running Ubuntu and I have the N55SL (but I believe it's pretty much the same as the N55SF) so sorry if this is noise, but:

Fn + F9 on my laptop sends a XF86TouchpadToggle KeyPress event (I checked with xev) which sounds pretty standard to me, and, indeed, after installing the ktouchpadenabler module in KDE, Fn + F9 works to disable my touchpad. (This is with kernel 3.3.5 and Xorg 1.12.1) If you're not using KDE, this thread sounds promising: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...os-12-1-a.html

Since I may as well ask: Do any of you sometimes experience the fan starting up (very lightly; I once had it do so just by running nano!) and then stopping after one second? This occurs consecutively for me and I do find it slighly odd. cpufreq is enabled (I'm using Granola) and i7z says that the CPU is running at 800MHz (same as in Windows according to Core Temp when I'm not doing anything heavy). The NVIDIA card is disabled; I checked, thanks to gu79's awesome guide.
    Last edited by qwerty12; May 9th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Originally Posted by ajaustin View Post
    Yesterday I updated to kernel 3.0.0.17 and I get black and white bars when I try to boot. I have re-booted successfully to 3.0.0.16.
    Quote Originally Posted by @gu79 View Post
    Hi, I had the same problem like one week ago and for two consecutive boots (failed). The second time I could reboot totally blind (logging in first, and then rebooting from terminal). I don't know if it was caused by an update, but I haven't had the same issue again. Now I'm running the kernel 3.0.0-17.30-generic 3.0.22.
    I was also having this problem when the computer suspended. I have stopped the behaviour by disabling "Monitor power management control" in my XFCE power management options. Not ideal but better than having to force a reboot.
    Tony (using XFCE Desktop)

Beans

I found this solution for HDMI output:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/get-h...ptimus-on.html

It works on my N55SF. Good for watching movies and office work, but not usable for playing games. Keyboard responce is slow.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345