Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: problem with asus N55SF

Beans

Re: problem with asus N55SF

Quote Originally Posted by ephestione View Post
    The three quick steps were the killer
    WHat's not clear, even if I think the answer is obviously yes... after installing bumblebee and rebooting, do you still need to "activate" tne proprietary nvidia driver from "additional drivers" or not?
    Sorry for that, but the obvious wasn't right. You shouldn't install anything. The Nvidia drivers are shown as not activated and that is OK (I've got that from the bumblebee forum). I hope they fix the power comsumption problem. Did you try with the alpha version of 12.04?

I've just edited the guide to state that and also to add a simple workaround to the Fn + F9 problem.

Beans

Unhappy Re: problem with asus N55SF

Hi guys, it's been a while since I last checked this topic, unfortunately I still have big troubles, I just wanted to know if anybody knows how to fix this.
    The problem is that I just can't boot properly. Almost every time I turn on my laptop, passed grub, I see a "nice" white and gray flashing screen with random moving stripes. The same thing occurs when it goes into standby mode (not always). The odd thing is that it seems to happen randomly since sometimes it just boots correctly. Once I see that beautiful screen the only thing to do is manually turn off the notebook (which isn't very nice at all, I have to run check-disk often), and neither keyboard nor the HD usage led seems to work, although I can't understand whether the OS keeps on loading or not.
    After the second, third or fourth attempt I can usually login... I'm just getting bored with this.
    I don't think it is an hardware problem, I have a dual boot with Windows 7 which perfectly runs heavy graphical applications, moreover Ubuntu works fine once it starts, so does bumblebee.
    I tried to purge and reinstall bumblebee but it didn't work. I also tried to look into /var/log/boot.log and /var/log/syslog files but I'm not that skilled and all I could understand is that syslog stops roughly at IPv6 Ethernet driver loading though I suppose this just means that I press the power off button at the same time (as soon as I see the white screen).
    I have found no answer to my question yet. Any advice? Thank you.
    Last edited by Nephilim91; February 23rd, 2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans

Hi, Nephilim91. That sounds really horrible. In my case everything is working fine, even the bluetooth started to work with the latest ubuntu updates. I never had boot problems. The only issue I still have is that when I leave the machine idle for too long, somehow the power saving fails and when I try to wake it up, I see a black screen with a white stripe.

Is that your case? (In screen options, I've disabled "Dim screen to save power" and changed "Turn of after" to "Never" to try to solve it). I'm attaching a picture of what I see. But still, when that happens, I still have control and I can force a reboot (totally blind), using Ctrl + alt +t, and then sudo reboot + password.

My advice, save time and try a fresh installation in another partition (I made a backup of the RECOVERY partition using clonezilla, and I'm using that for testing 12.04).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hi folks,
    Unfortunately, I cant get past step 2
    2- For the first boot and as explained above, boot with no modeset or acpi=off (on the grub menu, press "e" on the ubuntu line and manually add nomodeset or acpi=off to the linux line, then “Ctrl + x” to boot).
    I add the acpi=off line and ctrl-x to boot, but the screen is still blank.
    Nothing happens.
    What should I do?
    When I installed, I did install with updates, should I reinstall?

EDIT:
    I got Ubuntu to boot. I had to select the option to go into the terminal. You have to load all file systems first, that way you'll get read-write access. Then as root you can edit the blacklist.conf file.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by ravimannan2002; March 4th, 2012 at 04:11 AM.
    fedora convert.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ravimannan2002 View Post
    I add the acpi=off line and ctrl-x to boot, but the screen is still blank
    Strange. Did you try as well nomodeset?

Good news is that with Ubuntu 12.04, most of the issues are solved. It boots without problem, Fn+F9 works and the video hardware is recognised correctly (I haven't tried bumblebee yet). There is also a fix ready for the subwoofer. I hope they add it soon.

I've updated the guide to enable RC6 power management.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by @gu79 View Post
    Hi, Nephilim91. That sounds really horrible. In my case everything is working fine, even the bluetooth started to work with the latest ubuntu updates. I never had boot problems. The only issue I still have is that when I leave the machine idle for too long, somehow the power saving fails and when I try to wake it up, I see a black screen with a white stripe.

Is that your case? (In screen options, I've disabled "Dim screen to save power" and changed "Turn of after" to "Never" to try to solve it). I'm attaching a picture of what I see. But still, when that happens, I still have control and I can force a reboot (totally blind), using Ctrl + alt +t, and then sudo reboot + password.

My advice, save time and try a fresh installation in another partition (I made a backup of the RECOVERY partition using clonezilla, and I'm using that for testing 12.04).
    Well, I haven't had any problem for many boots, I even thought it finally disappeared, but now it is back ._.
    Actually what I see isn't similar to your screen, it is more like random lines and figures slowly moving... Usually there is a blank screen with colored horizontal and vertical lines crossing in the same area, and I can often see like a honeycomb pattern, especially on the bottom right corner... That's not always the same, it changes over time and it moves, that's not a static screen, it's weird, isn't it? I can't really understand how the video card can create such strange and "geometrical" patterns when it tries to boot.

By the way, I think I'll try to do a fresh install, that's the only thing to do. I guess I'll just format the root partition then install 12.04 beta over, hope it is quite stable by now, given that it is a LTS.
    Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciated it!
    Before formatting I'll try to take a photo of my screen, just to let you see what happens

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vadimcaen View Post
    Hi everyone !

I had the same problem but I have a solution !

When you boot on the liveCD/USB and when you see the menu where you have to choose between Live mode or install; try F6 and choose acpi=off ! This should solve your problem
    Had the same Problem solved with the model Asus n45/n45sf! Great solution! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Radom behaviour in my case is X restarting by itself.
    Sometimes when it does and I log back in, I get the ugly unskinned X interface, with plan gray window frames and ugly menus.
    I need either to reboot or to restart X with ctrl-alt-bksp (after enabling it).
    This happens after you do something "conspicuous", like starting an app, last it happened just now after starting irfanview with wine and trying opening a file.

Another gripe is that no matter how you set the screen brightness, it always goes back to full brightness after each boot (or restore from sleep), and you need to decrease it manually with fn+f5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I installed using the guide in this thread about 2 weeks ago. It all went very well - thanks!

Yesterday I updated to kernel 3.0.0.17 and I get black and white bars when I try to boot. I have re-booted successfully to 3.0.0.16.

Any ideas what to do?

Tony

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajaustin View Post
    Yesterday I updated to kernel 3.0.0.17 and I get black and white bars when I try to boot. I have re-booted successfully to 3.0.0.16.
    Hi, I had the same problem like one week ago and for two consecutive boots (failed). The second time I could reboot totally blind (logging in first, and then rebooting from terminal). I don't know if it was caused by an update, but I haven't had the same issue again. Now I'm running the kernel 3.0.0-17.30-generic 3.0.22.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast