Thread: Vala for cross-platform development?

Beans

Vala for cross-platform development?

Hello everyone!

I'm a web developer who wants to start developing native GTK-applications. Vala looks very attractive due to it's similarities to Java and C# but can it be compiled run on other platforms or just the Linux-platform? I figured since it is so heavily integrated with GTK+ it would be very easy to also make your applications available to Windows or OS X. Am I correct to assume this or can't it be compiled for other platforms?

Thank!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Vala for cross-platform development?

If you like Java, use Java. It's available on pretty much any platform.

If you like dotNet/C#, use Mono (and ignore the chorus of Mono haters)
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

But the question was about Vala.

From what I know, there are Windows binaries for Vala but I don't expect many people to be able to help you when you have problems getting it to work on Windows or Mac OS X. Last time I checked Vala, it was too unstable to actually use but I'm sure it has improved a lot since then. But it's not that much in use as Java, C, C++, Python and many other languages. It's up to you if you want to use Vala. Your safest bet is probably an established language.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the crow."

Beans

The C code generated by Vala should be no less portable than hand-written C. The biggest limiting factor is the portability of Gtk+ itself. Gtk's Windows and OS X support is not as mature and as well maintained as Qt's, for example.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crdlb View Post
    The C code generated by Vala should be no less portable than hand-written C. The biggest limiting factor is the portability of Gtk+ itself. Gtk's Windows and OS X support is not as mature and as well maintained as Qt's, for example.
    Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for Thank you all for your replies!