Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using unity seems to be laggy and generaly slow

Beans

Using unity seems to be laggy and generaly slow

i have recently upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10. I was usign gnome2 clasic before and was quite looking forward to trying the new and improved unity in 11.10.

After a while of using Unity i have found it a bit clunky and slow. I am a web developer so i spend most of my time going between firefox and aptata, both of which seems to be very slow and laggy when scrolling up and down. Simply scrolling up and down a page looking through code is very laggy.

Has anyone else had this issue? also, unity in general seems slow, especially the alt-tab switcher

When i switch from unity to gnome classic (with effects) all of my problems away, firefox and apatana are very quick and the system i general feels quicker

I am running on an Intel Core2Quad Q82000, 6Gb RAM, Ubuntu X64, Nvidia GeForce 310 (512Mb) v280.13

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Using unity seems to be laggy and generaly slow

Quote Originally Posted by wardy277 View Post
    i have recently upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10. I was usign gnome2 clasic before and was quite looking forward to trying the new and improved unity in 11.10.

After a while of using Unity i have found it a bit clunky and slow. I am a web developer so i spend most of my time going between firefox and aptata, both of which seems to be very slow and laggy when scrolling up and down. Simply scrolling up and down a page looking through code is very laggy.

Has anyone else had this issue? also, unity in general seems slow, especially the alt-tab switcher

When i switch from unity to gnome classic (with effects) all of my problems away, firefox and apatana are very quick and the system i general feels quicker

I am running on an Intel Core2Quad Q82000, 6Gb RAM, Ubuntu X64, Nvidia GeForce 310 (512Mb) v280.13
    Try gnome-shell. It may be faster for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Using a not-state-of-the-art ATI card (Radeon HD5450) and the open source driver, Unity in 11.10 is zippy enough for me and the alt-tab switcher is fine. That's with dual-monitors too. Yours sounds like a video driver issue. I'm not really up on the latest nvidia cards and yours sounds to be fairly recent one. Which video driver are you using?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

i am running the nvidia official driver 280.13 do you think this could simply be a graphics issue?

could be issue be related to my upgrading from using gnome2?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i am running the nvidia official driver 280.13 do you think this could simply be a graphics issue?
    To be honest, I don't know. All I can say is that I have both Natty and Oneiric on adjacent partitions on this machine and Unity works just fine in both for me. And I have no experience of nvidia cards beyond the now somewhat middle-aged GeForce 8400GS.

When you say "classic desktop", is that the gnome-panel gnome2 near-lookalike but based on gnome3 that you get with the gnome-session-fallback package?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post

When you say "classic desktop", is that the gnome-panel gnome2 near-lookalike but based on gnome3 that you get with the gnome-session-fallback package?
    Yes that what i am using at the moment with compiz effects turned on. that is what led me to believe it was unity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes that what i am using at the moment with compiz effects turned on. that is what led me to believe it was unity
    Interesting. Unity is a bit heavier on resources than other compiz effects, so perhaps it's a marginal thing with your particular GPU/driver combination. One thing you could try. In compizconfig-settings-manager > Desktop > Unity Plugin > Experimental tab, try changing Dash blur to anything but active blur. Active blur is a bit demanding.

Beans

I had the same problem, and it was mainly because of problems of compiz and nvidia-current (the proprietary driver) not talking to each other properly.

Try to uninstall nvidia-current (or any other version of the proprietary driver) and reboot:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current
    Then, on the next system initialization, the opensource nouveau driver will load, and for me it works well with unity. I believe (and this is only a guess) that this problem may be solved with the release of the upcoming 285 version of the binary drivers...

I hope this solves your issue
    Last edited by rodmachado; October 14th, 2011 at 04:56 PM.

Beans

I have been playing with the settings and decided to go back to the unity ubuntu session.

at first it was quick and i didnt have any issues, then i played with a few settings and disabled unity from compiz settings manager, after re enabling it it all went laggy again. i logged out and back in again and it all seems fine again. maybe there are some unity bugs to be ironed out.

i did notice that aptana was usign the new scrollbars, but when i scrolled down there was a flickering orange bar above or below (depending on if i was scrolling up or down). I have disabled the scrollbars for aptana by adding this to the launcher script: export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0

Beans

. Simply scrolling up and down a page looking through code is very laggy.

Has anyone else had this issue?

i have definitely noticed thru much of the dev of 11.10 a bit of a lag in scrolling in FF & to a lesser extent in google-chrome
    Though here it was generally confined to the initial scroll of a page - after which it would be normal

What was also seen here with compiz-0.9+, (on a laptop), was a small lag in the upclocking from performance level 0 to the higher levels 1, 2
    The most obvious way to see that here was to open an unmaxed window, wait about 30 sec for the adaptive clocking to drop to 0 & then pick up & move the windows. A fairly noticeable lag in response is seen.

This is not seen in unity-2d, GS or unity in 11.04 on this hardware

I will say that now I'm trying the latest compiz from proposed & then effect is lightened but still there.
    ( if I temp change from adaptive to max performance then this doesn't happen & FF scrolling is also good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast