Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu and Eeepc

Beans

Re: Lubuntu and Eeepc

rrashkin,

I used Universal USB Installer v1.8.7.3 to install several Ubuntu variants to USB flash drives.
    When you boot from the USB drive, with whatever "*buntu" flavor, there should be an icon on the desktop labelled "Install *buntu".
    That's how I did the Xubuntu install to my SSD drive.
    And it worked. Smooth sailing, except for the space constraint.

Universal USB Installer provides a "persistence" option that UNebootin doesn't seem to offer. That lets you save changes to the Live environment, like retaining installed packages, across reboots.
    Of course, the persistent casper-rw filesystem tends to self destruct before too long, if you don't manually run fsck on it from time to time... (see my previous post)

Since the Live distribution on the USB drive seems to get by fine without a swap partition, you can probably reduce the size of the swap partition that the OS installs and recover some space that way.

I don't know how you're using the SD card right now (and I don't know how flexible the installer will be) but you might consider getting a fast SD card ("class 10", "133x", or better) and making it a permanent part of the system by putting the /usr filesystem on the card, so that packages and libs install there, instead of on the internal SSD.

There are several netbook and eeePC-specific distros out there (Lubuntu, Peppermint OS, Ubuntu-eee/Easy Peasy, Leeenux, Eeebuntu/Aurora OS, etc.). I'm really not clear on the differences. All are supported by Universal USB Installer...except for Aurora, which has its own installer.

Post back and let us know how the Lubuntu alternative ISO works out on your eeePC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thanks, I will.

Beans

easiest solution is buy a ssd 12 gb , want cost a huge fortune
    if you can find ssd that is that low now of days

or a 1.8' hard drive can fit in them ,

although ive only ever seen a 1.8' hard drive once

Beans
    Distro

The EASIEST solution is to use Puppy Linux and bypass the SSD altogether. I just would rather have an Ubuntu system on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rrashkin View Post
    The EASIEST solution is to use Puppy Linux and bypass the SSD altogether. I just would rather have an Ubuntu system on it.
    You may have heard of 'Leeenux', Ubuntu based, and seems to be aimed at eeePCs.......looks promising and you might find it something to work with.

Beans
    Distro

I'll keep that in mind but I think I'll try Lubuntu first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rrashkin View Post
    I'll keep that in mind but I think I'll try Lubuntu first.
    .......you might want to add 'Jupiter' no matter what you decide....it is ideal for the eeepc...extends battery time etc....but google 'webupd8 Jupiter' for the best way to install on Ubuntu based OSs and more details.

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Lubuntu and Eeepc

I tried loading Lubuntu this weekend, both regular and manual install. In both cases, the actual install was fine but Lubuntu failed to recognize my wireless. I tried a couple of things but -- well -- I'm back to EasyPeasy.

Beans
    Distro

I hope this isn't considered heresy but the solution for me is Bodhilinux. It's based on Ubuntu but it's ultra-lite. When it's installed, it initially takes up only 1.3Gb, but, then, it doesn't have any software to speak of, only a lite browser (Midori) and a file manager, text editor, and terminal. I loaded gnumeric, abiword, and inkscape, and now I'm up to 1.5Gb. Granted, it uses the Enlightenment desktop and that's not a whole lot of fun but it works for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You made a good choice with Bodhi & Enlightenment because they are very 'lightweight' and use only a small amount of the available space.

One thing I have found with the eeePC is that, when you have only 4GB, it makes no sense to carry around empty disk space so mine is always maxed out! I also clean out all the extra language files and 'help' documents that I don't and will never use.

I have a /home file on the 'external' 2GB drive and frequently use 'Bleach-Bits' to keep things clean.

I have found Fuduntu the ideal OS for my eeePC because it has pre-installed Jupiter, which maximises battery time, and all the function keys work the way they should. It runs a bit on the large size but I can't see much value in having excess blank space on a 4GB drive.......and wifi & mobile broadband works!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast