Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get crebs working in 11.10?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to get crebs working in 11.10?

Another work around is to run this app:
    http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=125178
    Last edited by BillyBoa; November 7th, 2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: You don't have to install only to run the app

Beans

Yep, got it. *rubs eyes*
    You've got to download the source from the Internet and install. And then. It's ugly, but basically, you don't have the right dependencies installed for pygtk, which is what crebs uses.
    Fix that with

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install python-glade2 python-gtk2 python-gtk2-dbg python-gtk2-dev python-gtk2-doc
    And if that doesn't work, do this as well:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install debhelper python-support gnome-pkg-tools cdbs autotools-dev quilt xvfb xauth xfonts-base python-all-dev python-all-dbg libgtk2.0-dev libglib2.0-dev libpango1.0-dev libatk1.0-dev libglade2-dev python-numpy-dbg python-cairo-dev python-cairo-dbg python-gobject-dev python-gobject-dbg xsltproc docbook-xsl gnome-icon-theme
    Should work fine now - at least, it worked for me.
    Last edited by RafiB; November 12th, 2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: clarified not a fix for 404ing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Just an addendum to this thread is a related thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1881394

The only differences are: 1. Using alternative methods (rather than CReBS) to generate the slideshow XML file, and 2. I've been working on a script to automatically add the XML pointer info to the gnome-background-properties directory. As of the writing of this post, it simply adds the information using SED to the existing ubuntu-wallpapers.xml file, but after reading this thread I think I am going to have it generate (or append to) a custom-wallpapers.xml file. The script is attached to the above linked thread.
    Last edited by em3raldxiii; December 30th, 2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: clarification
    • Note To Self:gksudo is safer than sudo for graphical apps!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Downloaded and installed Wallch and it's working fine.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

Here's the solution I've found...

I've tried Wallch. It's nice, but quickly get's annoying due to the fact there is no way to make it start on boot, and from what I've found, it must either stay open on the launcher or on the menu bar. (The icon on the menu bar looks horrible.)

It took me a while, but I finally figured out the only way to activate CreBS is to browse to an image file, (in Nautilus,) right-click, and choose Open With... -> Create Background Slideshow. CreBS opens, and from there you can add more images. Alternatively, (what I did,) you can select multiple images at a time and choose Open With... -> Create Background Slideshow.

Once you tinker with CreBS getting the timing setting how you like it, click the Tick to save the XML file. At that point, nothing else seems to happen. It says in the corner that the wallpaper is changed, but it's not. From there, what you have to do is open up a terminal and type,
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri file:///home/<username>/.crebs/<slideshowname>.xml
    That will change the background to the slideshow you just created, and you should be good to go. The "file:///" is necessary. Make sure you replace <username> with your username and <slideshowname> with the name you gave to your slideshow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12