Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 dual monitor nvidia card problem

Beans

Re: 11.10 dual monitor nvidia card problem

I just did a fresh install of 11.10 without having connection to the internet (and hence it didn't download the NVIDIA drivers) and the dual monitors work fine using the open source drivers. I'm not sure how to regress the drivers from binary to open source

Beans

You just open the "Additional Drivers" and deactivate the nvidia driver.
    I did this, and Unity 3d is now running very well using the Nouveau driver. Also the problem with using external monitors is gone.

I just installed the nvidia driver out of habit. But it seems that it's not always a good idea anymore.

Another plus is that this makes it possible to use the default Display configurator in Ubuntu instead of the Nvidia one.

EDIT:
    I can even play Open Arena and Nexuiz
    My graphics card is Nvidia Geforce GT 240M
    Last edited by Kobin; October 15th, 2011 at 01:35 AM.

Beans

So the open-source driver for nvidia cards works? Cool, I'll have to try that out then. The only downside is that I doubt it'll be able to handle Oil Rush, but at least I can get some dev work done.

Beans

Cool Re: 11.10 dual monitor nvidia card problem

I've got the same problem...guess I'll just try with the noveau drivers instead until they fix the issue.

EDIT: Tried using the noveau drivers but the configuration wasn't showing my native screen resolution so I'll have to use the nvidia ones and wait for a dual-screen fix :B
    Last edited by Rivoot; October 17th, 2011 at 05:05 AM.

Beans

Having the same issues with a Quadro FX1600 card on a Dell Precision M6300.

Really surprised that their is so many issues with NVIDIA support on this release. Previously, the LiveCD wouldnt work at all with Unity on Natty but it installed fine. The LiveCD worked fine with Oneiric but was an epic failure when i booted. I got the "checking battery state" freeze during bootup when it tried to load the drivers. I was able to drop to the command line and manually use the Nvidia 173 drivers that have worked in the past. Now the nvidia settings manager is whacked. Looking around it seems that the ATI folks got their own set of issues. My guess is that it is related to support with the Gnome3 vs 2 upgrade.

Anyhow, my setup is a little different but it may help get someone in the right direction. I use my laptop on a docking station with the lid closed and it use a hardware KVM to switch between my desktop and laptop. The external monitor was not recoginized in the nvidia settings or the ubuntu display manager. I manually edited the Device section of the xorg.conf file to include:

Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-2"

Which was the settings from my old natty setup. This worked without issue. Therefore it may be possible to manually edit your xorg.conf file to use the dual monitors. Might be able to grab those settings from your backup.

Beans

Same issue using the Nvidia drivers. Have tested on two different laptops with Nvidia cards, and the problem seems consistent.

The nouvaeu drivers seems to work ok with dual monitors. Nvidia driver seems ok on a single monitor.

Been running the Nvidia drivers with a dual setup for years without problems, until today...

Beans

Yep, dual monitor support here with the Nvidia driver is busted.

I had to,

1. Run nvidia-settings
    2. Enable the second monitor
    3. Save the configuration file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    4. Close nvidia-settings, then log out
    5. The second monitor became enabled

I found that if I hit 'Apply' inside of nvidia-settings, my screen would go black with the mouse pointer visible. Mouse movements became extremely jerky and if I waited a short amount of time the desktop would come back without any of the window decorations and the keyboard wouldn't work.

Beans

Hello,

I installed Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit helt new.
    Nvidia 7500 LE with to monitors.

The same problem as above:
    - ubuntu 2D works but ubuntu 3d crashes..... it is not possible to start programs etc.

Who haves an solution for 3D with unity in Ubunut 11.10 and nvidia ???

Beans

Are you using nvidia or open source driver?

Beans

After trying different approaches where one of the screens went gray or black, or I could not log in at all using the GUI i figured it out.

The thing that worked was, deleting the xorg.conf (backup this file first)
    Sudo rm /etc/X11xorg.conf
    Restart the machin (a default xorg.conf will be created)
    Install the NVIDIA accelereated graphich driver (post-release update)(version current-update)
    Start the "nvidia x server settings" both of the screens should show.
    Select the screen that does not work
    Set Configuration: TwinView
    Save to X configuration file
    I use a nVidia Corporation G86 Quadro NVS 290 card

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast