Thread: 12.04 saving files on the same USB you boot from

Beans

12.04 saving files on the same USB you boot from

Hi there,

I'm new to ubuntu - looks good but I have a problem saving files to USB.

I created a linuxpendrive on a windows box with 12.04 on a 4G USB stick to boot.
    It boots okay. However no settings/new programs are saved between sessions. I.e on reboot it seems completely fresh - all files are lost.

Saving to user/documents/ is always lost between reboots. (on the linux file store)

As root in terminal I did manage to save a text file in /cdrom/my new dir/ (on the USB drive I boot from) that is now persistent between reboots.

Am I trying to do something unsupported by trying to save to the boot drive?

I really would like to be able to save on the USB I boot from so this OS instance and it's files can be totally selfcontained. S

I note the default login user is non root - could this be an issue. Also, do I need to be ejecting the USB etc before shutdown or something like that?

Any help would be appreciated!

Beans

Re: 12.04 saving files on the same USB you boot from

Bump... Nobody saved files on the same USB they boot from?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It sounds like you are booting to a live session. What that means is you setup the USB drive to boot and install from usb to hd. I think what you want to do is burn a CD or DVD and boot form it and then install to the USB drive. If you do this be very careful and make sure you install it to the USB drive. your hard drive will most likely be sda and the USB will be sdb. Here is what mine looks like.
    gparted.png gpartedusb.png
    Hard drives--------------------USB drive
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ourobrs View Post
    Hi there,

I'm new to ubuntu - looks good but I have a problem saving files to USB.

I created a linuxpendrive on a windows box with 12.04 on a 4G USB stick to boot.
    It boots okay. However no settings/new programs are saved between sessions. I.e on reboot it seems completely fresh - all files are lost.

Saving to user/documents/ is always lost between reboots. (on the linux file store)

As root in terminal I did manage to save a text file in /cdrom/my new dir/ (on the USB drive I boot from) that is now persistent between reboots.

Am I trying to do something unsupported by trying to save to the boot drive?

I really would like to be able to save on the USB I boot from so this OS instance and it's files can be totally selfcontained. S

I note the default login user is non root - could this be an issue. Also, do I need to be ejecting the USB etc before shutdown or something like that?

Any help would be appreciated!
    You need a persistent set up to save stuff on a ISO loaded thumb.

Beans

Thanks for the tips guys. Okay I'll try to use the current live install to make a persistent install on a second USB....Making sure I don't install to the HD!

Cheers.