Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Shutdown option in Unity session menu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

No Shutdown option in Unity session menu

OK, I am making a serious effort here to learn to like Unity, but I'm really bugged that I can't find any way to shutdown !

The Help system makes reference to a "session menu" at the right side of the top panel. The only thing I have there is the item that shows my user name and drops down into a menu that shows:

Switch User Account...
    Guest Session
    [my list of users]
    Online Accounts...
    User Accounts...

I expected to see either "Shutdown" as an option in this menu, or else a power button icon in the upper right, but either way, the only method I have to shut down is to go to a terminal and enter "sudo shutdown now". Even when I do that, the system just freezes and gives me a dimmed out screen. It doesn't return any of the usual linux indications that the system is actually shutting down.

And another thing. Is there any way to pin preferred applications to this start bar thing down the left side of the desk top?
    The best thing about Ubuntu is that any idiot can install it and have a workable Linux machine. The worst thing is that I am still an idiot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: No Shutdown option in Unity session menu?!!

There should be a gear/power icon to the right of your name, that's where the shutdown option is.

To pin an application to the launcher, you can either drag its icon from the dash to the launcher bar, or right-click on the program's icon while it's running and select "Keep in launcher."

Beans
    Distro

OK I figured out how to pin an application to the launcher. (With the application open, go to the launcher, right click on the application icon, and then select "pin to launcher".

I'm still very puzzled though that there is no way to shutdown the computer. Surely the Unity people don't expect GUI users to go back to a command line just to shut down.

I think I can get used to the rest of the idiosyncrasies of Unity if I can just get it to start up and shut down properly. Right now the only way I have to shut it down is by holding down the power switch.
    The best thing about Ubuntu is that any idiot can install it and have a workable Linux machine. The worst thing is that I am still an idiot.

Beans
    Distro

Is Mise, I agree, there SHOULD be a gear shaped icon there. I've even seen a screen shot so I know what it is supposed to look like and where to look for it. But it's not there!

Beans
    Distro

I had a problem with the power menu disappearing occasionally when using the beta version of 11.10, I was able to get it back by pressing Alt-F2 and entering: unity --replace

Beans
    Distro

Any other ideas? I tried alt F2 and entered the command: unity --replace

The screen blanked out, then my wallpaper screen came up and the system froze. I gave it a couple of minutes but nothing happened. I had to do a hard restart.

But I'm glad to know that I can get a command line by hitting Alt-F2.

I'm getting a bit frustrated, I'd planned to spend the morning playing with my Arduino.

Beans

When the referred to bug was active the power indicator was still there - the icon was just not seen. but could be accessed by..

To see if the same is affecting you try this -
    click on your username, then slide your cursor to far right edge of screen keeping it in the top panel - does the power dropdown show up?

Beans
    Distro

Well this is really strange, there is still no icon, but I found that if I veeeerrry caaarrefully hold the mouse pointer in the extreme upper right corner of the screen, there is an area about 2 pixels wide and about 12 pixels high where I can click to make the power menu open up.

If you have any ideas how to make the icon appear however, that would be better!!!

I see that Alt-F2 doesn't really access a terminal, but it does let me launch an application...if I only knew the commands to enter.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I cross posted you. Is there a fix to bring up the icon?

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    When the referred to bug was active the power indicator was still there - the icon was just not seen. but could be accessed by..

To see if the same is affecting you try this -
    click on your username, then slide your cursor to far right edge of screen keeping it in the top panel - does the power dropdown show up?

Beans
    Distro

A couple of other ideas are:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall indicator-session

From a terminal and then then restart the computer.

Or try:

unity --reset

From Alt-F2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast