Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Gnome2 in Ubuntu 11.10

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    90

    Gnome2 in Ubuntu 11.10

    I didn't want it to come to this, but I've haven't found anything on google. You guys remember gnome2 in 10.10? I do. It was the best DE I've ever used. Before I realized what using linux meant, I was compelled to install it only because I saw gnome2 and decided that it was for me. Well, I upgraded to 11.04 a while back, and it had gnome2, but it was a little buggy. I waited 4 months for 11.10 hoping that the gnome2 interface would work just as well as it did in good 'ol 10.10. Well, imagine my surprise when it's not an option at the login screen, and I can't for the life of me find the ppa or the packages or anything. I can't bring myself to use Unity for some reason and I agree with Mr. Torvalds' views on gnome3 (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08...s_gnome_three/). So, long story short, how do I get gnome2 on 11.10, or even better, because 11.10 and 11.04 were both faster, is it possible to downgrade? Thanks a lot

    Also, if nothing should work, could I reinstall 10.10 on my ubuntu partition WITHOUT formatting, so that it just replaces the system files but doesn't touch my other ones?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Beans
    940

    Re: Gnome2 in Ubuntu 11.10

    Gnome 2 is dead and officially unsupported. If you install "gnome-shell" in 11.10, I think it gives you a fallback mode that resembles the old Gnome 2, though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    90

    Re: Gnome2 in Ubuntu 11.10

    Looks it it's re-install all your software on a fresh install of maverick time again

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    370

    Re: Gnome2 in Ubuntu 11.10

    You should at least take a look at gnome-session-fallback (GNOME Classic at the login screen). Just hold Alt to modify the panel, and install gnome-tweak-tool to change themes, fonts, etc.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    3,187

    Re: Gnome2 in Ubuntu 11.10

    Gnome 2 is dead.

    Gnome-session-fallback (available in the Software Center) is pretty close, it may be good enough for you.

    Some people are working on Mate, which is Gnome 2 resurrected, but it is unclear when or if it will become main-stream.

    In general, if you like Gnome 2, you should take a look at xfce4. It is not Gnome 2, but it is more similar than not. Xfce usually takes a bit more time to setup just the way I want it, but in the end, I think it is better than Gnome 2.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eldorado, NM
    Beans
    4,987
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Gnome2 in Ubuntu 11.10

    Quote Originally Posted by crdlb View Post
    You should at least take a look at gnome-session-fallback (GNOME Classic at the login screen). Just hold Alt to modify the panel, and install gnome-tweak-tool to change themes, fonts, etc.
    Thanks a bunch for this info! But I cannot seem to move the application launchers on the top toolbar. They are locked in place. Can this be done?

    Previously I could right-click and have the option to uncheck the lock feature.
    -merlin

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Gnome2 in Ubuntu 11.10

    I installed fall back and may be able to live with it. I am still on Maverick and tried Unity. My wife complains about changes so I did not attempt Natty, I could not get Natty's unity to work well but with its fallback,it seemed ok. but I knew that was soon to be obsolete as it was gnome2 and everything was going to be gnome3.

    But this is pretty close and with some tweaking which seems to be available, I may use this.

    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

    Return to Ubuntu Classic Desktop in Ubuntu 11.10
    http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/08/...-ubuntu-11-10/
    How to Fix common Gnome 3 issues on ubuntu 11.04 (Natty)
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix...-04-natty.html

    http://ubuntumanual.org/posts/405/gn...r-guide-part-2
    Last edited by oldfred; October 14th, 2011 at 05:10 AM.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Calif
    Beans
    1,208
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Gnome2 in Ubuntu 11.10

    I'm pretty disappointed. I've looked forward to upgrading but since my machine can't handle Unity, I have to use Classic. I haven't kept up with the news, but no more gnome 2 means I can't upgrade Ubuntu anymore. I don't know if I can use Gnome 3 because I don't know what kind of hardware it requires. (I'm assuming it will need what Unity needs)

    With no support either, guess I better not mess with it too much. Now I wonder if regular updates break something, (or I do) down the road -- I'd be stuck with a broken desktop. Reminds me of XP with no more support. Guess Ubuntu is targeting new, high-powered pc's now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    370

    Re: Gnome2 in Ubuntu 11.10

    Quote Originally Posted by merlinus View Post
    Thanks a bunch for this info! But I cannot seem to move the application launchers on the top toolbar. They are locked in place. Can this be done?

    Previously I could right-click and have the option to uncheck the lock feature.
    Applets are now anchored to left, center, or right. This makes the panel much more robust with resolution changes. Within those constraints, you should be able to move any applet by holding alt, right clicking, and selecting 'Move'

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    2

    Re: Gnome2 in Ubuntu 11.10

    Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    I'm pretty disappointed. I've looked forward to upgrading but since my machine can't handle Unity, I have to use Classic. I haven't kept up with the news, but no more gnome 2 means I can't upgrade Ubuntu anymore. I don't know if I can use Gnome 3 because I don't know what kind of hardware it requires. (I'm assuming it will need what Unity needs)

    With no support either, guess I better not mess with it too much. Now I wonder if regular updates break something, (or I do) down the road -- I'd be stuck with a broken desktop. Reminds me of XP with no more support. Guess Ubuntu is targeting new, high-powered pc's now.
    There is still a fallback mode by default, just this time it is Unity-2d for people who can't run Unity-3d. much less system intensive, but pretty much the same other than having less configuration and less eyecandy. other than that, you could easily install any number of other DEs. openbox (my current main), LXDE, XFCE, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •