Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 upgrade problems: odd boot behavior, system restart always required

Beans

11.10 upgrade problems: odd boot behavior, system restart always required

I just upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 using the update manager tool. The upgrade went smoothly, except for one message about swsusp needing a swap partition to work (I do have a swap partition, and suspend worked fine before and still does in 11.10).

Now on booting up, the machine waits a long time saying it is "waiting up to 60 more seconds for the network configuration", and then that it is "Booting system without full network". At this point, about half the time the system never boots into X (although I can always Ctl+Alt+F1 to log into the terminal). The other half of the time, it goes to the login screen and I can log in, but then the update manager tells me I need to reboot to complete updates (no matter how many times I have rebooted). Both the ethernet and wifi connections work fine.

The only unusual thing I can spot in ps is that I have 8 copies of "nfsd" running.

All I have in /etc/network/interfaces is:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Can anyone help? thanks!

Beans

Re: 11.10 upgrade problems: odd boot behavior, system restart always required

Actually, I've found that whether the machine boots or not isn't random: if I delete all files in /var/run/dbus/ then the machine boots into X on the next try; otherwise it gets stuck (and I can only log into the console).

So is this a DBUS problem..? I also notice I see the following error every time I use <su> from the terminal in X:

(process:3547): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
    Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    Last edited by cogcog; October 14th, 2011 at 03:22 AM.

Beans

hello,

1] move all /var/run -> /run and /var/lock -> /run/lock
    2] delete /var/run and /var/lock
    3] link /run -> /var/run and /run/lock -> /var/lock
    4] delete /run/dbus/*
    5] restart

Should work. gl.
    Last edited by wegorz; October 14th, 2011 at 10:14 AM.

Beans

Question Re: 11.10 upgrade problems: odd boot behavior, system restart always required

I tried the above in single user mode and get a "Read only file system error when trying to delete the lock and run folders. I attempted to chmod them, but that failed. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've got the same problem.
    There were no visible complains when I upgraded my 11.04 to 11.10 using the update manager tool, but after reboot there were problems.
    First boot was ok, but all following fail to load X.

If I kill gdm and try to restart it I get:
    ** (gdm-binary:2292): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused

Similar messages can be seen during boot time.

Network interfaces fail to configure themselves automatically during boot but can be setup manually using ifconfig after boot.

Booting into safe mode does not help at all, but I can always Ctl+Alt+F1 to log into the terminal.
    Logging in tells me the system needs to restart, no matter how many times I restart.

I'll try the above and see what happens.
    Last edited by codac; October 14th, 2011 at 02:18 PM.

Beans

I tried moving the /var/run and /var/lock locations as suggested, and everything seems to work fine now. Thank you so much!

FWIW I didn't need to drop down to singleuser to do this: everything worked fine from within X.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by wegorz View Post
    hello,

4] delete /run/dbus/*
    5] restart

Should work. gl.
    That solved it for me. Thanks!

Beans

hello,

4] delete /run/dbus/*
    5] restart

Should work. gl.
    Is that the terminal code?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hello,

4] delete /run/dbus/*
    5] restart

Should work. gl.
    This, written as commands by someone without root privileges would be e.g.:
    Code:
    sudo mv /var/run/* /run/
    sudo mv /var/lock/* /run/lock/
    sudo rm -r /var/run
    sudo rm -r /var/lock
    sudo ln -s /run /var/run
    sudo ln -s /run/lock /var/lock
    sudo rm /run/dbus/*
    More info about the problem can be found here: Bug 811441. Solution seems to come from post #24 there. Grateful to wegorz who posted it here though.
    Last edited by codac; October 14th, 2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Should probably encourage sudo instead of login as root.

Beans

Thanks, wegorz. Your solution worked. I tried one solution suggested on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelo...rview#Upgrades
    but it did not work, there was an error in the syntax.
    Honestly speaking, this upgrade is even worse than the previous one. They migrated to new paths, without bothering to fix them. "Circus" - should be considered as the next version name.
    Who knows how to switch to classic view?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast