Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I get a GNOME3 desktop?

Beans

Re: How do I get a GNOME3 desktop?

It looks like Xinerama is enabled in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf). If you want to use two monitors with compositing, you need to use TwinView.

Beans

Hello, I was out on business this weekend, so I wasn't able to get back to this thread.

It does seem Xinerama is enabled, but I don't have two monitors nor any expectations to use two. How should I go about removing it? I tried removing the packages in Synaptic but it wanted to remove 96 some odd dependent programs along the way.

Beans

Look for 'Option "Xinerama"' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If you didn't do it intentionally, you may have enabled it with nvidia-settings. You can probably just rename the xorg.conf and boot without one.

Xinerama isn't the only reason Composite could be disabled, but it's the most likely if 3d acceleration is otherwise working. If you don't see anything, post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

Beans

You don't need to replace anything.

Do in the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
    And log out, and under the gear icon (11.10) next to your name, click GNOME and it should log you into GNOME 3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12