Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PP: Are you going VM, Dualboot or hell break loose /dev/sda1?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: PP: Are you going VM, Dualboot or hell break loose /dev/sda1?

Possible vbox on desktop, or testing on my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gonna clone my oneiric partition and change the repos to precise.
    FX-4100, GA-970A-D3, CM Hyper 212+, 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333, Kingston HyperX 3K 90GB SSD, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, nVidia GTX 480
    Windows 7 Pro (Ubuntu 12.04 VM), Ubuntu Server 12.04, Ubuntu User #31355
    Dropbox!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Live install on my primary workstation and on my rackmount, no VMs, dual booting or anything else. Working around bugs is fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

7 computers in my house, all with multiple hard drives. I just throw an os in one of them whenever I need to. I have one hard drive with my music, videos, games, and schoolwork; one with ubuntu 10.04; and one with gentoo. The rest of my ten-dozen drives are re-formatted about every month. I almost never dual-boot. I've never needed to.
    01100010011010010111010000101110011011000111100100 1011110100000101110100011011010011010001000011

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    We have, in the past, been asked what the point of testing the tool chain is. There is little to test until after A1, this is true, or has been in the past. The thing that we can do, and no one else can, is test the OS and, more importantly, the dailies (when they start) and the A1 ISO.

This all needs done on real hardware. The devs work in virtualization. The need is for hardware testing. The more folks testing, the more diverse the hardware on which it is being tested. VB negates this completely.

In VB what you are really testing is if VB is compatible with the dev release. While this is by no means worthless it is not what we are really here for.
    +1 I really try to break it on hardware. Virtual is not as much fun with that.

3 test boxes on desktop- 1 with nVidia... ATI and Intel GPU's.
    2 servers- 1 Server on 32bit, 1 Server on 64bit.
    (They are the same test boxes i had from the last 2 go rounds...)
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Beans
    Distro

I'm convinced off the VMs... I'll buy a KVM at least, hate having many keyboards/mouses on table lol.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans

This is perfect timing: the Linux-box just got some leftovers when I upgraded the gamingbox to i7 2600k!

Vbox it is, as the Linux-box now has a 45nm C2Q @ 3.2GHz with VT-d and 8GB RAM(Ubuntu seldom uses that much RAM on the desktop, so a VM is a perfect use for it). I may even place the VM on the SSD to speed it up

I'll continue to run Kubuntu 11.10 as the main-OS as it is quite stable by now.
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Asus P5Q-DeLuxe C2Q Q9450@3.2GHz 8GB Nvidia GTX650Ti 1GB Asus Xonar Essence ST Crucial M4 64GB(system) 3TB storage Corsair VX450 Xigmatek Asgard

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I'm already there with a multi-boot system. I have 6 other systems and most of my everyday stables are on pendrives. So I'm pushing it. It's always been a knack of mine to push hardware to the limit. I got more hardrives laying around .. that I use them for the power magnets I just love the way you can swap drives with Ubuntu installs.

So I'm going for the gusto. I want to lay some rubber so to speak.

I think about how Mark Shuttleworth rode 5 million pounds of Thunder all the way to the International space Station on that Russian Rocket .. so , why should we hold back
    what a way to say it... couldnt have said it better myself! lol!

" I want to lay some rubber so to speak." lol!
    Johnb0y

Linux box is better than a woman because when you screw up with it, at least you get an error message!

Beans
    Distro

Here , from the automotive capital of Canada .. we lay rubber in our youth (and even when we become pcgeezers lol

Ubuntu and Linux distros in general offer us the end_user a lot of latitude that we don't get from other commercial distros..

regards..

Beans
    Distro

I'm testing it on a real machine (spare hd's), VBOX,KVM, Server and desktop edition and my interest is more in LTS releases and I do not care whether something breaks during dev cylces.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast