Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 - cannot load profile

Beans

Question Ubuntu 11.10 - cannot load profile

Hi!

After Ubuntu upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 cannot load my profile. Login screen appears, then I enter password for my profile, screen blinks to black and then again to login screen. Although I can start guest session with Unity. Also, restart button doesn't work under login screen. With Ctrl+Alt+F1 I can load my profile in terminal.

Any suggestion on this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 - cannot load profile

Have the same issue. found no further info till now.
    I can login with the other profile I have on the same machine. That one I used almost never.

Can you login if you create a new account? sudo adduser ?

Beans

I found out that the problem was the .Xauthority file in the home folder:

[+967.58s] WARNING: Failed to write authority: Error opening file '/home/phiphi/.Xauthority': Permission denied
    It was owned by root. I deleted it and could login again.

Beans

now i found also this bug report:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dm/+bug/871667

Beans

Thanks, this worked for me!

Code:
    ls -Shla | grep "Xauthority"
    showed me 3 files. I deleted .Xauthority. After couple of reboots my profile started to load! Thanks!

Beans

Alright, everything said so far mirrors my experience, but how exactly do I go about deleting Xauthority?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by justinwood View Post
    Alright, everything said so far mirrors my experience, but how exactly do I go about deleting Xauthority?
    Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 when you're on login screen. Then login under your profile. The default directory will be your home directory. Then simply do:
    Code:
    sudo rm .Xauthority
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    Then you should be able to login under your profile.

Beans

I'm having the same problem. I upgraded Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal to 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot and now I cannot login to my user account. I can login as root or guest. When I try to login to my account, the screen turns black with white writing on it, which looks like the last screen when Ubuntu is shutting down. Unfortunately, I cannot read the text; it's too fast. Then, the login screen appears again.
    There was no .Xauthority file in my home directory, so I copied that of root and changed ownership of it to myself. When I login now it takes ages and I get an error message "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/<username>/.ICEauthority" with only a "logout" button.
    I can login to my account from a text terminal (e.g., tty1 at Ctrl+Alt+F1).
    Edit: I own .Xauthority and I can chown and chmod it, but I cannot mv or rm it. How come this?
    Last edited by outofthecave; October 14th, 2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added info

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 11.10 - cannot load profile

Hello

same problem here, I've tried to find the file .Xauthority logging in as admin in CTRL+ALT+F1 but without success.Is it possible I don't have that file?when I had Ubuntu 11.04 I already had problems with this file every time I was logging in, not sure if finally I deleted

Thanks in advance for your support

Beans

Thank you so much! My computer is working great now! You guys always follow through, thank you thank you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast