Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 - cannot load profile

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 - cannot load profile

I'm having this problem too,after altering the libimobiledevice packages. Just stuck on the login screen. I've tried deleting/altering the xauthority file and the lightdm, neither has worked for me. Also none on my software sources seem to be able to download anything all are failing to fetch files. Any ideas appreciated.
    P

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Question Re: Ubuntu 11.10 - cannot load profile

Quote Originally Posted by Starmaster View Post
    Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 when you're on login screen. Then login under your profile. The default directory will be your home directory. Then simply do:
    Code:
    sudo rm .Xauthority
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    Then you should be able to login under your profile.
    I don't understand. The whole reason this thread was started was because we're unable to login to my normal user. How then can I "Then login under your profile." If I could do that I wouldn't be typing this post.. Or am i missing something obvious? I'm logged in as guest and if i try to access my usual users home dir (/home/myusername) I am denied permission. What is it I'm missing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by flitbee View Post
    I don't understand. The whole reason this thread was started was because we're unable to login to my normal user. How then can I "Then login under your profile." If I could do that I wouldn't be typing this post.. Or am i missing something obvious? I'm logged in as guest and if i try to access my usual users home dir (/home/myusername) I am denied permission. What is it I'm missing?
    You need to log in on tty1 - do Alt/Ctrl/F1 and you should get a login prompt; no graphical interface, but you will be able to delete the file and try again.
    horace

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by horace View Post
    You need to log in on tty1 - do Alt/Ctrl/F1 and you should get a login prompt; no graphical interface, but you will be able to delete the file and try again.
    Thanks, i did do this but I see no .Xauthority file in my home dir (Yes i did ls -a). Is that where I should be looking? /home/username/ I see no .Xauthority file, am able to login via tty1 with the user that is unable to login via the GUI and experience the exact same issue mentioned in this thread. Am I missing something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by flitbee View Post
    Thanks, i did do this but I see no .Xauthority file in my home dir (Yes i did ls -a). Is that where I should be looking? /home/username/ I see no .Xauthority file, am able to login via tty1 with the user that is unable to login via the GUI and experience the exact same issue mentioned in this thread. Am I missing something?
    That's where the file would be. Not sure what else might help, though for me the instructions in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1860780 (post #2) did the trick.
    hth,
    horace

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 11.10 - cannot load profile

Thanks very much, deleting .Xauthority worked like a charm!

For those of you not finding .Xauthority: It might be the case you changed your password from the console instead of doing it from the GUI, or something else screwed up. Anyway, when that happens it is possible that your personal data hasn't been mounted because the login screen couldn't use your old password to do so.

The procedure here is to execute from tty1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1 at login screen will show up the console):

Code:
    ecryptfs-mount-private
    then, to mount your data you will need your OLD password. After doing so, you will find .Xauthority in your home folder. Delete it!

Code:
    cd ~
    ls .Xauthority
    rm .Xauthority
    Now hit Alt+F7 to return to your login screen. Login with your new password and welcome to your desktop again.

Hope this helps!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar.dR View Post
    Thanks very much, deleting .Xauthority worked like a charm!

For those of you not finding .Xauthority: It might be the case you changed your password from the console instead of doing it from the GUI, or something else screwed up. Anyway, when that happens it is possible that your personal data hasn't been mounted because the login screen couldn't use your old password to do so.

The procedure here is to execute from tty1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1 at login screen will show up the console):

Code:
    ecryptfs-mount-private
    then, to mount your data you will need your OLD password. After doing so, you will find .Xauthority in your home folder. Delete it!

Code:
    cd ~
    ls .Xauthority
    rm .Xauthority
    Now hit Alt+F7 to return to your login screen. Login with your new password and welcome to your desktop again.

Hope this helps!
    Thank u for that alternative, but when I tried that, this is what I got:

It's been 2 months since I've been stuck with a non-working Ubuntu!

Beans

I have the same problem. During installation of Ubuntu 11.10 i changed my password. So i mount my old home with my old password over console. But when i do rm .Xauthority there is still no .Xauthority that can be removed. Any suggestions? Thank you if you can help me.

Beans

I solve it!

All the things with this kind of console manipulation didn't worked for me.

At the end i logged in as a guest into ubuntu desktop (unity, there where you start firefox and so on).

Then i opend the document browser/ home (called nautilus, there where you see the home directory with all the personal staff of guest).

I went into options of the browser where you can activate the possibility to see hidden documents and files.

Then i saw a .Xauthority file and a .xession-errors file

I deleted both.

Then i was able to login into ubuntu with my old user that i used before when i upgraded to 11.10

This problem cost me 1 day. Thanks.

Beans

I'm having a remarkably similar problem to this, although not for the same reason.

I'm running Xubuntu, and I changed the password setting on my Users Settings to "not asked on login". After this, I had the same problem people describe: click on user account at the login screen, some text ran (too fast for me to read it) and then took me back to the login screen.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 and logged in via the terminal screen, and went back to the login screen by Alt-F7. This then allows me to login.

Afterwards however, I find I can't shut down or reboot the computer from inside Xubuntu (options are greyed out). I also cannot shut down from the login screen.

I also have to do the same steps every time I reboot manually.

Anyone got any idea what might be causing this?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast