Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded to 11.10 EVERYTHING IS BROKEN

Beans

Upgraded to 11.10 EVERYTHING IS BROKEN

Thanks a lot, Ubuntu! I've been using your 'product' as my main OS at work, and you're poorly planned so0called 'upgrade' broke everything, I can't log in, blank screen, Unity sucks, you forgot somehow to include Gnome?!?!?
    How could you make so many mistakes?!?! You completely broke our systems w/o warning us this is Beta!?!?
    What are you going to do to prevent us from losing data?
    DO SOMETHING NOW TO FIX MY SYSTEMS.
    You're 11.10 release renders Ubuntu worse than Microsoft Windows. You're no longer an alternative.
    Someone of responsibility PLEASE contact me. This upgrade has put a halt to our ability to do business here.
    FIX IT< AND SOON.
    -tippy24

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Upgraded to 11.10 EVERYTHING IS BROKEN

Sorry but I have to respond to this:

Thanks a lot, Ubuntu! I've been using your 'product' as my main OS at work, and you're poorly planned so0called 'upgrade' broke everything, I can't log in, blank screen,
    Running your business on a non LTS releases, upgrading the first day it comes out, think its wise ?

Unity sucks, you forgot somehow to include Gnome?!?!?
    This is old news, 11.10 does not include Gnome2 by default, I heard there should be a fallback in the repositories though.

This upgrade has put a halt to our ability to do business here.
    Again, your only fault for running your business on a non LTS release and not doing a clean install to make sure everything runs smoothly.

I do sympathize with you though...

On a more serious note, if everything is borken, boot from a liveCD, backup your important data and do a clean install.

** My Blog

Beans

reading the OP... it almost sounds like a joke.

but if it's not, e79 provides cool-headed sound advice

good reminder for newcomers though

Beans

So how do we revert to 11.04? Right now I'm trying to find out how to get Skype to run in the background and show an icon on the top bar. Skype just disappears,but is still running. Can't change font except for size.

They change ubuntu because they could and not because it was needed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I know this is a rant.. but - backup before doing anything major with your system.

EDIT: If you need to pull your data off the drive - boot from a livecd and grab the data, as e79 suggested.
    Last edited by CharlesA; October 13th, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I, for one, can sympathize with the OP. I have been running some version of Ubuntu since the version 7 series and have been learning - incrementally - the painful lessons of jumping into the newest and greatest releases as soon as they become available.

First and foremost, I learned just how important it is to separate your data from the rest of the system by keeping your data (/home) in it's own partition. This makes it so much easier to revert back to the previously running release without blowing up important user files. I have no idea why this small step is left out of the installer and most installation documentation.

The next thing I learned was to NEVER upgrade right away. Wait, and watch the forums for a month or longer. That way the problems inherent with rushing a release to market before all the bugs are found and dealt with have less of an impact. Many things are typically left until the NEXT iteration - and some things are simply left broken due to the so-called "better way" (an example of this can befound in the link provided above as well). You tend to get a much better perspective as to what works and what doesn't (and sometimes why and how to fix it) by holding off on your upgrades.

If you have mission critical software installed, the OP, or anyone else for that matter, should hold off on upgrades entirely until the next LTS release. Which brings me to the third point - at least after 10.04, newer has not necessarily proven itself to be any better when it comes to Ubuntu releases.

I know this doesn't help the OP out the jam he's currently in - I can't tell you how many times I've had to scrub an entire file system due to an "upgrade" because there was simply no other solution. I would heartily concur with the above responses - use a LiveCD distro that worked for you before, back up what you can, and then do a clean install reverting back to your original setup.

Beans

The next thing I learned was to NEVER upgrade right away. Wait, and watch the forums for a month or longer. That way the problems inherent with rushing a release to market before all the bugs are found and dealt with have less of an impact. Many things are typically left until the NEXT iteration - and some things are simply left broken due to the so-called "better way" (an example of this can befound in the link provided above as well). You tend to get a much better perspective as to what works and what doesn't (and sometimes why and how to fix it) by holding off on your upgrades.
    Exactly and there are threads here showing this ....... as well as people trying to show
    others that there are other ways ...... to check it out .....

The main being to try it out on a liveCD or USB first ........

If failing that put it on a clean 20 Gig Partition ....

Beans

This is my backup:

tar czvf /media/BACKUP/Ubuntu_Backup/john.tgz /home/john
    cp /etc/apt/sources.list /media/BACKUP/Ubuntu_Backup/
    dpkg --get-selections > /media/BACKUP/Ubuntu_Backup/list_of_applications.txt

Not only all the files in my directory,but all the sources that I use and a complete list of applications. If I need to reinstall (to be done real soon), I lose nothing but time. And the .iso file of a good OS along with a bootable usb device.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Using some mod-magic, I can say that this thread, is not serious, and was meant as a joke, and a preview of the 100's of threads yet to come.
    Last edited by cariboo; October 13th, 2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Using some mod-magic, I can say that this thread, is not serious, and was meant as a joke, and a preview of the 100's of threads yet to come.
    Unfortunately, I was looking to see if there were solutions to my problems (tty only, reverted to Dvorak keyboard).

Glad to see this is a troll/ joke, but

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast