Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast

Thread: What you would like to see, changed or fixed in Precise Pangolin ?

Beans

Re: What you would like to see, changed or fixed in Precise Pangolin ?

I'll add another vote for tooltips.

Also, support for second monitors seems very buggy. I've gotten it to work before, but it takes a lot of fiddling and even then sometimes simply doesn't work. From what I've been reading many others have had the same experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would like to adjust the brightness of my monitor and any app that would do that would make my ubuntu experience a lot better. I miss the simple free app called dimscreen (downloaded from donation coder's website) which I used in windows. My monitor's inbuilt controls don't let me lower the brightness sufficiently low even if I set it to zero. My eye aches in linux.

I would like to see a better desktop search utility which integrates with nautilus. I like KDE's dolphin in this respect. I hope the new ubuntu automatically mounts other drives. I hope the new unity stops showing the mounted drives in the launcher.

Beans

I spent half a day struggling with nvidia drivers!
    I had them working fine in 11.10 ,then upgraded, everything fine and then driver upgrade ( i guess nvidia-current ) crashed everything.
    I deleted reinstalled, reconfigured ( at a point even gdm went wrong ) and whatever I read on the net or did I was not able to have them loaded. I reverted to 'nouveau' and got my 1620x .. resolution back. Thanks god I'm not playing games on this laptop to require acceleration.
    My card:
    product: GT216 [GeForce GT 330M]

What you could improve is to somehow allow only tested upgrades ( although this driver nvidia-current claimed was tested ) so I won't lose half a day next time!

Thanks

Beans

I'm happier with 12.04 than I've been with an Ubuntu release since 9.04 - but I'd like to see empathy either come up to the level of pidgin or go away entirely.

Specifically - SIPE integration (which matters to *me* quite a lot), multiple party invites (which work fine in pidgin, don't seem to work properly so far in empathy), and the fact that new messages don't pop up in the existing chat window as a new tab - they just sit under the envelop icon. I also personally don't care for empathy's logging and its inability to import logs except at first run.

Also, just as a future note - I *really* want to see this whole "switching out x app for y app every version" stuff go away. Rhythmbox, Thunderbird, etc. I had to sit and wait while my entire 7500 song library got re-discovered from scratch.

Minor annoyance, though. 12.04 was seriously awesome and what they did to Unity made it really work for me for the first time ever.

Beans

Make it a little snappier, keep the global menu only on maximized windows, keep global menu visible instead of autohiding, move window buttons back to the right, clear the search bar text in unity when i close the launcher, drag and drop icons to wherever you want in sidebar, and shortcuts for scale and expo with the mouse. If they make that happen I will gladly use unity again when i get something more powerful than the netbook i'm using right now
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    (...) drag and drop icons to wherever you want in sidebar
    That's working already - if you mean dragging icons from dash to sidebar.

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    (...) and shortcuts for scale and expo with the mouse. If they make that happen I will gladly use unity again when i get something more powerful than the netbook i'm using right now
    Install Ubuntu-Tweak and you can set it up more than just easily.

Beans

Unhappy Re: What you would like to see, changed or fixed in Precise Pangolin ?

I'd restore the Applications Menu. I'd heard rumblings about the UI changes, but figured there'd be something usable by 12.04.

Gah.

• I can no longer browse to select from the tools under "Sound & Video". I have to search for audio, sound, and music? I wonder what other apps I'm overlooking because they're using other terms in their descriptions.
    • Dash is going to cause keyword spamming in app descriptions, and all-in-one apps in a category will become more popular because even if people install more specialized apps, they'll get lost in their systems.
    • I can no longer install a half-dozen apps, then try them in the menu to see which is best suited for the task -- they've restored pencil and paper to a required desk tool. I have to write down each app that I'm installing, then search for it so I can try it. I'll need a stack of punch cards next to my Ubuntu machines.
    • Install a half-dozen apps just to try them? WTF is that going to do to the tiny space for app icons? We now have a system-level version of the desktop-full-of-icons that we can't find anything in.
    Last edited by SEWilco; May 3rd, 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I would like to see the lock screen prompt to be themed...

Would also like the applications menu back, if they want to do a mini-dash off it, they can knock themselves out. With the old menu I liked having to only click twice to get what I wanted. A search is only useful if you have a library worth of applications (in other words TONs of them) where manuelly finding them would be tedious.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; May 3rd, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mumbabumba View Post
    I spent half a day struggling with nvidia drivers!
    I had them working fine in 11.10 ,then upgraded, everything fine and then driver upgrade ( i guess nvidia-current ) crashed everything.
    I deleted reinstalled, reconfigured ( at a point even gdm went wrong ) and whatever I read on the net or did I was not able to have them loaded. I reverted to 'nouveau' and got my 1620x .. resolution back. Thanks god I'm not playing games on this laptop to require acceleration.
    My card:
    product: GT216 [GeForce GT 330M]

What you could improve is to somehow allow only tested upgrades ( although this driver nvidia-current claimed was tested ) so I won't lose half a day next time!

Thanks
    You're welcome to join us in testing Quantal. Check out the sub-forum here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SushiR View Post
    That's working already - if you mean dragging icons from dash to sidebar.

Install Ubuntu-Tweak and you can set it up more than just easily.
    Ubuntu-Tweak, MyUnity, and CCSM give you unbelievable customizations for 12.04

Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast