Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What you would like to see, changed or fixed in Precise Pangolin ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What you would like to see, changed or fixed in Precise Pangolin ?

First this will be an LTS, so i would like to see polish and as many old reported bugs solved as possible (many have just sitting there for months with little to no attention even if they are affecting many users). As for features i would like to see new ones that help accessibility and make ubuntu better (nothing too drastic of course).

Minor features would like to see:

-Gnome Sushi integration (or sushi / kde style quick previews) in the Dash (files and music lens)

-Tooltips for the applications and maybe files lens (description, rating, more info, etc.)

-messaging menu better accessibility for new users.

Some bugs would like to see Fixed:

-Global menu is not ergonomical on large screens

-User Documentation should be easier to access

-Upgrading packaged Ubuntu application unreasonably involves upgrading entire OS

-Old compiz / stability bugs.

-Most Bad upgrade problems should be solved!

What are yours?
    Last edited by madjr; October 29th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro

Re: What you would like to see, changed or fixed in Precise Pangolin ?

UI Related:

• Follow Fitt's Law. The edge-reveal of the Unity launcher is a huge flaw, and it gets in my way more than it should. If this behavior is intended to stay, then at least let me close a window by throwing the cursor to the corner. I don't want to aim when it's unneeded.
    • I want the ability to move the launcher. It really gets in my way when it decides to pop up when I press something such as the Back button in Firefox.
    • Lenses need much refinement.
    • Exposé-like feature by default.
    • A simple, non-ccsm program for configuring Unity. It's amazing that we actually need to use CCSM to change basic behaviour still.
    • Stop hiding the bloody appmenu.

Other:

Use only the most stable proprietary drivers possible. My Northern Islands AMD card doesn't like 11.8 or 11.9 very much. If I install an LTS, I expect stable defaults. PPAs don't count.
    Last edited by kaldor; October 13th, 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I would like the damn thing to be installable on my Mac Mini 2011 (the 5.2 model with the Radeon chip in it). Something no currecnt distro manages.

Secondly I would like there to be 3D acceleration (I got that Radeon chip because AMD are our friends and code a lot of nice driver goodness yet it does not work). This is likely done to stupidity and hybrid graphics.

Thirdly for there to be available on the site a blessed GNOME3 version of Ubuntu sans lightdm and thunderbird. Branded to match upstream GNOME3 from grub to shutdown.

Followed by that, I would love to see a pledge to support PackageKit and Systemd in P+1.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

I would like to see everything pre-login screen addressed. On most PCs I've installed Ubuntu, the things that I know are supposed to show don't actually show or are filled with bugs. I know this is minor, but if this can be addressed, I'd be glad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1 for tooltips.

Beans
    Distro

a working debdelta-upgrade ._.
    its working fine in debian since ages. I don't get why it takes so long to offer this in ubuntu.

Beans

Continue to Have:

- working applications in repositories
    - CPU / motherboard/video temperature indicator (was easily added to panel in lucid and maverick)
    - also CPU load/frequency indicator
    - easily find apps by typing a part of their name (which unity gave us by default, and simpler version was also present in ALT+F2 in older releases. also from add-ons.)

Plus
    Streamlined (less sluggish unity):
    - show app results more quickly, without overloading the hardware.

details:
    maybe if the programs/apps selection in unity, after typing a part of the name, does not take up the whole screen (using transparency) it will be less sluggish on less powerful / older hardware (that is still above the minimum requirements), -( i have still to try recent versions of unity2d.) or is it indexing the list that's the problem? (just guessing here)

again, as-you-type results can be quicker. (e.g. win 7 on the same machine). Unity's applications selection does look better though, except for performance.

Firefox got its as-you-type find tool right (from the first stable release too.)
    (just citing a slightly similar example of as-you-type listing)

- after typing the program name in the launcher, should be able to get to the program / file icons using keyboard (i.e. tab) or is it done using the down arrow now... have to try most recent version of unity again.

Have a good day!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I found a way to use the Dash effectively in 11.04 and lost it in 11.10. In 11.04 I could use the mouse to click on the Dash. At that point I could move from mouse to keyboard and type a few characters of the program name, and all the programs with those characters in their name would appear. For example, typing "ed" brought up Text Editor, GIMP Image Editor, Configuration Editor, and more. I could use the tab key to move across the program names until I had selected the program that I wanted. Then I could press the enter key and start the program. Note that after my hands were on the keyboard they didn't leave it until the program had been started -- for a touch typist that was fast. I thought this feature represented good user interface design.

That feature is gone now. The tab key selects lenses, and I can't find any way to select a program without having my hand go back to the mouse. That is slower than before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Drop the Unity desktop experience and use Gnome Shell as default Ubuntu desktop.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brown View Post
    details:
    maybe if the programs/apps selection in unity, after typing a part of the name, does not take up the whole screen (using transparency) it will be less sluggish on less powerful / older hardware (that is still above the minimum requirements), -( i have still to try recent versions of unity2d.) or is it indexing the list that's the problem? (just guessing here)

- after typing the program name in the launcher, should be able to get to the program / file icons using keyboard (i.e. tab) or is it done using the down arrow now... have to try most recent version of unity again.

Have a good day!
    unity 2d is pretty nice right now maybe you should try it.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast