Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: What you would like to see, changed or fixed in Precise Pangolin ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What you would like to see, changed or fixed in Precise Pangolin ?

I would like to see Ubuntu in a DVD instead of a CD. It's a nightmare for a beginner to install all these programs. Like Gnome tweak tools, Compiz Config, Ubuntu restricted (of course like an option) etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBoa View Post
    I would like to see Ubuntu in a DVD instead of a CD. It's a nightmare for a beginner to install all these programs. Like Gnome tweak tools, Compiz Config, Ubuntu restricted (of course like an option) etc.
    Are you sure you're using Ubuntu? Installing packages is easier here, than with most other distributions.

BTW there has been a dvd available for several years, it gives you the option of using the Live CD, or the alternate install on one disk.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BHEJU View Post
    HDMI Audio.
    Are you running into some hardware specific issue? I have a HTPC at home, now running on Oneiric, connected via HDMI cables to 2 TVs. Audio is normal in both cases, even for high definition audio. The HTPC uses two NVidia GT9500. This is working out-of-the-box for me on Ubuntu for years. I connected the motherboard spdif header to the cards using cables like this: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...PIDIF2&cat=MBB

Alsa / pulseaudio is able to create independent audio output channels for each one when both are reproducing different content simultaneously. Maybe this part required some fiddling to setup, can't remember what I did exactly, but as far as I remember it was the only audio-hdmi-related relevant issue.

Beans
    Distro

I would like (in no specific order):

1) An easy GUI interface (gnome-control-panel) that would have the following options:

Save, load the following options as profiles (e.g. normal session, debug session, etc)
    - Completely disable / re-enable / customize Plymouth
    - Customize visuals / disable visual customizations of Grub
    - Enable / disable grub options to always show on boot, respect/not respect holding shift on boot, show / not show recovery boot as an option (although not bulletproof, are valid security measures, to some degree)
    - Define / activate / deactivate grub boot / kernel parameters
    - Enable / disable a working console framebuffer (should evaluate compatibility to current VGA and not simply throw in one of the currently blacklisted FBs).
    - Console FB customization / enable / deactivate FB

2) A clear console message when X tries to load on Vt7 and fails. Users report system stuck on "checking battery" and other unrelated messages, unaware their system tried to load X and failed.

3) A bulletproof X fallback: stripped X session, dialog saying that it is running on VESA, a terminal and a browser.

4) A working Compiz dbus plugin.

5) Port of CCSM to gnome-control-panel

6) Image + text + explanation of what a Unity, Classic, Gnome-Shell session is on the right portion of lightdm / greeter. Clear advise to NOT RUN a hardware accelerated session depending on the results of unity-support-test (or similar tool) ran on background. Future extension to provide "experience index", much like windows does.

7) Better performance on dash search. Right now it's not so much an issue of the search method, but of the system loading / sizing / displaying icons at each pressed letter. I'm seeing it cause some hiccups in slower machines.

8) GUI (gnome-control-panel) interface to deal more clearly with alternatives (java, etc)

9) GUI (gnome-control-panel) for ufw

10) Better integration of Thunderbird, Lightening, Address Book, instant messaging, indicator-datetime-service, indicator-message-service, including google services, and a VoIP softphone.

11) Faster development of Wine in the sense of fully supporting the Win32 API. It's too focused on enabling games and games workarounds right now, while many people want to be able to run Win32 applications on desktop. VMs are heavy on laptops. Working and native Win32 code execution would be amazing. Right now it's too buggy for professional use.

12) Improvements to acpi, considering buggy BIOSes exist and there are workarounds (as windows implements). Bulletproof booting / suspending / hibernating / poweroff. Faster hibernate / poweroff.

I know these ideas won't be made into PP or any time soon as there's no real demand for many of these requests, there are other critical things in development and there are workarounds and third part programs that deal with these aspects to some extent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When I am at home I plug an ethernet cable into my laptop. The wireless keeps trying to connect and I keep getting a message telling me that the wireless is disconnected. Can this be changed so I only get the wireless disconnected message once after log-in. Or if the wireless becomes disconnected. Then if I want to try to connect I will do it manually. Also the message displays for a long time, one to two seconds would be enough.

If you turn off global menus you lose the global menu for the desktop. It should be possible to show the global menu for the desktop and not for normal windows.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    When I am at home I plug an ethernet cable into my laptop. The wireless keeps trying to connect and I keep getting a message telling me that the wireless is disconnected. Can this be changed so I only get the wireless disconnected message once after log-in. Or if the wireless becomes disconnected. Then if I want to try to connect I will do it manually. Also the message displays for a long time, one to two seconds would be enough.

If you turn off global menus you lose the global menu for the desktop. It should be possible to show the global menu for the desktop and not for normal windows.
    That's weird. I don't use a laptop anymore but I'm pretty sure the behavior for the last two releases of Ubuntu was to accept the connection of eth0 and stop wpa supplicant and wireless messages. Maybe your eth0 card is not being managed by network-manager?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    That's weird. I don't use a laptop anymore but I'm pretty sure the behavior for the last two releases of Ubuntu was to accept the connection of eth0 and stop wpa supplicant and wireless messages. Maybe your eth0 card is not being managed by network-manager?
    This is happening in oneiric. It happens on all three laptops where I have installed oneiric. I am using the standard network manager that is installed in oneiric.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by cespinal View Post
    I want to see KDE being the default desktop.
    Well that's not going to happen!

I would like to see more recognition of the other desktop environments in this forum though, i.e. KDE, Xfce and LXDE.

Since this thread now seems to be just about Ubuntu, I'd like to see better Unity stability. For reasons not relevant here, I've had to remove Ubuntu 11.10 from my third hard drive for the time being but before I did it became quite unstable. Just changing a few settings in CCSM can still cause Unity to crash and present a user with no top panel or launcher.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; November 11th, 2011 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    3) A bulletproof X fallback: stripped X session, dialog saying that it is running on VESA, a terminal and a browser.
    If xdiagnose (continuation/successor to bulletproof-X) needs a fallback, you probably have to skip X all together and go for VC plus

Later, Seeker
    ¨Everybody's trying to be my villain, And I was unaware of the vacancy.¨....
    ¨And maybe someday I will not be destitute, and I will be kicked by a better brand of boot.¨
    --Golden Shoulders

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by recluce View Post
    Excuse me for being blunt, but this is a less than intelligent comment. Do most users need a floppy? Of course not. However, there are special applications where you still need one, for example: older machines that still work well, would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace - and communicate with the outside world by floppy disk.

Also, there is the principle: if an OS supports floppies, they should work as expected. Otherwise, support should be removed.
    Hey, relax fella.
    Just a silly joke.

However, floppy's are EXTREMELY outdated.
    And though there are a few people out there who still use them, I am sure there are far more pressing matters.

Needs of the many.

Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast