Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realtek 8111C LAN ports not communicating

Beans

Question Realtek 8111C LAN ports not communicating

Hello, I have Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 Professional dual-booted on my system (I'm currently posting from Windows). The problem I am having is that neither of my LAN/Ethernet ports are communicating while in Ubuntu, however the connections manager recognizes eth0 and/or eth1 as viable connections options (though it claims an Ethernet cable is not connected...) I assumed the issues were related to a lack of drivers/modules to make the ports work as intended, but after installing the modules in Realtek's repository the ports still do not communicate.

I have dabbled with the terminal, and I understand basic commands and how to execute them.

My system has a Gigabyte Technologies motherboard, model number EP45T-UD3R revision 1.0. The LAN/Ethernet ports are listed in Windows Device Manager as "Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC" and this board has two (identical) LAN ports. I'm not sure if you need any more technical information about my hardware, but if you do I have all of the components in my system on Overclock.net here (the hardware list is near the bottom of the page).

link --> Azothyran's rig on Overclock.net

I HAVE tried NDISwrapper, I extracted the proper INF and SYS files from the sfxexe that Gigabyte provided, installed NDISwrapper using Terminal from the Ubuntu install USB stick I made, and told NDISwrapper to install and load the INF, but that didn't seem to make a difference to the connection manager (maybe I'm missing something?) but the wrapper did not spit out any errors. However, I have a sinking feeling NDISwrapper might only look for wlan, which won't do me a damn bit of good since they're ethernet ports (correct me if I'm wrong).

If anyone can assist me in this endeavor I would greatly appreciate it. If we can't figure out how to get Ubuntu to use my Realtek Ethernet ports, I wouldn't mind someone suggesting a cheap PCI LAN/Ethernet card to stuff in my system (I would prefer PCI over PCI-e, but either way) that has FULL compatibility with both Windows and Ubuntu.

Beans

Cool Re: Realtek 8111C LAN ports not communicating

Nobody has an idea or suggestions to help me with this issue? Not even a snotty 'search Google' comment?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Realtek 8111C LAN ports not communicating

Hi,

please show the terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) outputs of the commands:

Code:
    uname -a
    lspci -nnk
    lsmod
    ifconfig -a
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
    You can c/p the outputs to a .txt file and upload it.

Beans

Terminal Commands

I uploaded the results of those terminal commands as you requested. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Re: Terminal Commands

The interface name is called "eth1" instead of "eth0", and there is only one card shown:

Code:
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-EP45-DS5 Motherboard [1458:e000]
    	Kernel driver in use: r8168
    	Kernel modules: r8168
    Please show:
    Code:
    cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    after removing the wired profile in the networkmanager and rebooting.

Beans

After removing the profile in NetworkManager, rebooting, and inputting the command, I get:

Code:
    # PCI device 0x10ec:0x8168 (r8169)

SUBSYSTEM=="net",
    ACTION=="add",
    DRIVERS=="?*",
    ATTR{address}=="00:1f:d0:8f:9c:ca",
    ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0",
    ATTR{type}=="1",
    KERNEL=="eth*",
    NAME="eth0"
    I'm not positive, but shouldn't there be something listed under the Device ID attribute?
    Last edited by Azothyran; December 20th, 2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Clarification

Beans
    Distro

Now "ifconfig -a" should show eth0. Try also: Checkbox all user rights in "USERS&GROUPS", login again, checkbox "available to all users" and "connect automatically" in the wired profile of the network-manager, remove the profile and reboot.

Beans

'eth1' still listed?

Unfortunately, running "ifconfig -a" again shows 'eth1' and 'lo.'

Code:
    azothyran@Chernobyl:~$ ifconfig -a
    eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1f:d0:80:a3:93  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
              Interrupt:46 Base address:0x6000
    I also checked the connection manager, and it did not have any profiles in it. Upon clicking "New..." it shows "Available to all users" and "Connect automatically" as checked by default.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by Users&Groups, I only saw User Accounts in system settings, and I found nothing related to user permissions. I might need more information on how to do that.

Beans
    Distro

Re: 'eth1' still listed?

Try:

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.bak
    sudo udevadm trigger

Beans

eth0

Alright, eth0 is now listed under "ifconfig -a" and the ConnectionsManager. Tried rebooting and creating a network profile on eth0 but no luck still. Getting closer I think.

Code:
    azothyran@Chernobyl:~$ ifconfig -a
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1f:d0:80:a3:93  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
              Interrupt:47 Base address:0x8000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast