Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread: Howto: set up a mail server in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Howto: set up a mail server in Ubuntu

Thanks man it worked for me. I appreciate it!

Beans

This tutorial is great!! So far my server is able to send and receive mail by telnet.
    But there is some problem while log in with SquirrelMail, it show "unknown user or password incorrect".
    i log in with
    username@mydomain.com
    but it doesn't work.
    Anyone having same problem but solved can give me some clues?
    Last edited by crossRT; October 12th, 2014 at 05:01 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crossRT View Post
    This tutorial is great!! So far my server is able to send and receive mail by telnet.
    But there is some problem while log in with SquirrelMail, it show "unknown user or password incorrect".
    i log in with
    username@mydomain.com
    but it doesn't work.
    Anyone having same problem but solved can give me some clues?
    Sorry guys, it is work after i restart my server. Problem solved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anderhoff View Post
    Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit (60GB VHDD, 2x 2 Cores, 2GB, 16MB video all as a VM on WMware ESXi server)
    Shorewall (4.5.21.6-1 -- I think?)

I started to going through this how-to with another distro thinking it was pretty straight forward, but I quicklky ran into hipcups not finding any available source code for several packages (i.e. PostGrey - it's just gone) and confused about other items. Seeking a slightly easier road for success, I decided to simply do it by the book only to find versioning (directory and layout) problems.

The documentation doesn't seem to line up with with the 'apt-get install shorewall shorewall-doc' delivered goods.
    The "/default-config" folder just doesn't exist within "/usr/share/doc/shorewall", but instead I have "/examples" with sub-folders "/Universal", "/one-interface", "/two-interfaces", and "/three-interfaces". There is no example "hosts" files to work with, and I'm not keen on making one up not knowing what the format inside the file ought to be. Some of the steps seem depreciated as Shorewall appears to prefer "Format 2" now, while the how-to appears to be using "Format 1" (the "detect" parameter tipped me off and I didn't know where to put it). Getting web servers up is fairly easy and straight forward.
    Can you be more specific on how you got this to work? I've been stuck on this all morning. Thank you!

Beans

I have a mail server setup and the manual by Ivar was great resource in helping me.

But issues with the Cyrus/saslauthd service started... The service started to act weird after working for a while and i needed to restart it from time to time. This error was generated in the logs:
    DEBUG: auth_pam: pam_authenticate failed: Memory buffer error

After checking some forums and documentation, I've found out that there are some configuration mistakes present in the guide:
    In /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf i had to change from:
    pwcheck_method: saslauthd
    mech_list: plain login cram-md5 digest-md5
    log_level: 7
    allow_plaintext: true
    auxprop_plugin: sql
    sql_engine: mysql
    sql_hostnames: 127.0.0.1
    sql_user: mail
    sql_passwd: mailPASSWORD
    sql_database: maildb
    sql_select: select crypt from users where id='%u@%r' and enabled = 1
    to:
    pwcheck_method: saslauthd
    mech_list: plain login
    Here is the related doc that explains why the configuration of saslauthd needs only two mechanisms when pwcheck_method is saslauthd:
    http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#saslauthd

I guess an alternative way of configuration fix would be to use:
    pwcheck_method: auxprop
    But then we would need to skip the "pam" config entirely...

Also to fix the "auxpropfunc error no mechanism available" error remove the libsasl sql module:
    sudo apt-get remove libsasl2-modules-sql
    Last edited by spraitas; November 4th, 2014 at 02:36 PM.

Beans

Just did an install on a fresh ubuntu server. Didn't totally work out as I hoped, at first there was a space after my password, my bad.
    I had to configure roundcube to use a plain password, while the mySQL only has encrypted passwords in the database. The same goes for firebird/IceDove.
    Also IceDove doesn't create the draft, sent etc... folders, that only happens when I log in with Roundcube.

Now I still can't send mail I get SMTP Error (554): Failed to add recipient "name@domain.tld" (5.7.1 <localhost[::1]>: Client host rejected: Access denied).
    When I do a telnet to port 25, I can sent mail manualy, but when I try port 587, I get that error... Kind a strange...

Maybe I am going to fix the cram-md5, or going to use a tutorial with dovecot...
    I guess it didn't work because my passwords start with $5$, which is SHA256-crypt...
    Last edited by NielsNL; January 23rd, 2015 at 03:59 PM.

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051