Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: set up a mail server in Ubuntu

Re: Howto: set up a mail server in Ubuntu

Hi,

Firstly thanks Flurdy for the howto, greetins from a fellow manc!

I've managed to get my server up and running really well, the only bit I can't seem to get sorted is the SASL for sending mail. By tailing the logs it appears that the auth is checking with the MySQL tables but not accepting my password as correct.

I've attached the relevent config files. I hope someone can help me fix the problem. let me know if you need any of the log files on any more info.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I got mine working finally by using a combination of flurdy's howto and this one mentioned earlier http://workaround.org/articles/ispmail-sarge/
    Now that I've got it working I am now going work on making postfixadmin work with this setup and I'll be happy.

The Idol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

the_idol: Could you give us a few hints as to what modifications you made to the flurdy docs to get going? I tried replacing my main.cf and master.cf files with the ones from neufena but am still getting the relay error when attempting to receive mail. Any tips would be appreciated..

Beans

After much hair pulling with getting postfix/smtp/sasl/mysql working, it turned out that I had trailing spaces at the end of each line from the copy/paste in the /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf

After removing the spaces from the file and reloading postfix all was well.

I was getting errors in /var/log/auth.log like these until I removed the trailing spaces:

postfix/smtpd[27381]: SQL engine 'mysql ' not supported
    postfix/smtpd[27381]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available
    postfix/smtpd[27381]: _sasl_plugin_load failed on sasl_auxprop_plug_init for plugin: sql

Other than that the howto was great.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm in need of some help,

I can't seem to be able to login to SquirrelMail. I double checked my authmysqlrc file and all the fields are set properly, double checked my db and everything's fine. The squirrelmail config test goes well. The test on Furby's site went well. I have no idea what else could be wrong.

This is my mail.log below, any ideas?

Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], command=LOGIN
    Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], username=username@domain.tld
    Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], password=mypassword
    Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: authdaemon: starting client module
    Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: authdaemon: TEMPFAIL - no more modules will be tried
    Jul 14 21:28:09 mail imaplogin: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jul 14 21:28:09 mail imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], command=LOGOUT
    Jul 14 21:28:09 mail imaplogin: LOGOUT, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]

SquirrelMail config test:

SquirrelMail configtest

This script will try to check some aspects of your SquirrelMail configuration and point you to errors whereever it can find them. You need to go run conf.pl in the config/ directory first before you run this script.

SquirrelMail version: 1.4.6
    Config file version: 1.4.0
    Config file last modified: 14 July 2006 18:09:40
    Checking PHP configuration...
    PHP version 4.4.2-1build1 OK.
    PHP extensions OK.
    Checking paths...
    Data dir OK.
    Attachment dir OK.
    Plugins are not enabled in config.
    Themes OK.
    Default language OK.
    Base URL detected as: http://192.168.1.122/squirrelmail/src
    Checking outgoing mail service....
    SMTP server OK (220 mydomain.com ESMTP Postfix)
    Checking IMAP service....
    IMAP server ready (* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-SHA1 IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2004 Double Precision, Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.)
    Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-SHA1 IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS
    Checking internationalization (i18n) settings...
    gettext - Gettext functions are available. You must have appropriate system locales compiled.
    mbstring - Mbstring functions are available.
    recode - Recode functions are unavailable.
    iconv - Iconv functions are available.
    timezone - Webmail users can change their time zone settings.
    Checking database functions...
    PHP Pear DB support is present.
    mysql database support present.
    preferences database connect successful.
    addressbook database connect successful.
    global addressbook database connect successful.

Congratulations, your SquirrelMail setup looks fine to me!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by caledfwlch View Post
    I'm in need of some help,

I can't seem to be able to login to SquirrelMail. I double checked my authmysqlrc file and all the fields are set properly, double checked my db and everything's fine. The squirrelmail config test goes well. The test on Furby's site went well. I have no idea what else could be wrong.

This is my mail.log below, any ideas?

Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], command=LOGIN
    Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], username=username@domain.tld
    Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], password=mypassword
    Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: authdaemon: starting client module
    Jul 14 21:28:04 mail imaplogin: authdaemon: TEMPFAIL - no more modules will be tried
    Jul 14 21:28:09 mail imaplogin: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jul 14 21:28:09 mail imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], command=LOGOUT
    Jul 14 21:28:09 mail imaplogin: LOGOUT, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]

SquirrelMail config test:

SquirrelMail configtest

This script will try to check some aspects of your SquirrelMail configuration and point you to errors whereever it can find them. You need to go run conf.pl in the config/ directory first before you run this script.

SquirrelMail version: 1.4.6
    Config file version: 1.4.0
    Config file last modified: 14 July 2006 18:09:40
    Checking PHP configuration...
    PHP version 4.4.2-1build1 OK.
    PHP extensions OK.
    Checking paths...
    Data dir OK.
    Attachment dir OK.
    Plugins are not enabled in config.
    Themes OK.
    Default language OK.
    Base URL detected as: http://192.168.1.122/squirrelmail/src
    Checking outgoing mail service....
    SMTP server OK (220 mydomain.com ESMTP Postfix)
    Checking IMAP service....
    IMAP server ready (* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-SHA1 IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2004 Double Precision, Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.)
    Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-SHA1 IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS
    Checking internationalization (i18n) settings...
    gettext - Gettext functions are available. You must have appropriate system locales compiled.
    mbstring - Mbstring functions are available.
    recode - Recode functions are unavailable.
    iconv - Iconv functions are available.
    timezone - Webmail users can change their time zone settings.
    Checking database functions...
    PHP Pear DB support is present.
    preferences database connect successful.
    addressbook database connect successful.
    global addressbook database connect successful.

Congratulations, your SquirrelMail setup looks fine to me!
    Edit: I changed the username/password fields in the log file here to hide it, it is passing that info correctly.

Meant to edit the first post, not reply.
    Last edited by caledfwlch; July 14th, 2006 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Ooops

Beans
    Hidden!

It might not be a problem with SquirrelMail afterall, when trying to connect to courier from telnet I get:

telnet localhost 143
    A01 LOGIN myuser@mydomain.com mypassword
    A01 NO Login failed.

Would anyone have any clues? I'm at a real loss.

Edit:

Nevermind, was a typo in my authmysqlrc file... Two and a half days of debugging for a typo. Weee. Log files are now my best friend.

Edit The Second:

Just wanted to pass along a thank you to Flurdy, great tut! After haggling with a few minor issues that were entirely of my own doing, I've got a email server running, sending and receiveing without a hitch to the postmaster account. Cheers!
    Last edited by caledfwlch; July 17th, 2006 at 12:48 PM. Reason: WTF

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hello. after i succesfully login with SquirrelMail version 1.4.4 i get error

Code:
    Preference database error (no such field). Exiting abnormally
    is it problem with postfix, squid or mysql?

than you

Beans

I went through the entire setup, but I can't seem to Telnet to my postfix server from localhost.

It starts up ok, and without error. Not sure what files one may need to help with this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Another "thank you" to Flurdy for the great guide. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated.

I've followed the guide and learned a LOT about postfix and courier (coming from a sendmail/cyrus background, and wanting to learn something different). Mail seems to be arriving where it ought to, which is a good thing.

One problem I have however is I can't log into the Courier-IMAP server from mutt. I don't know if this is a mutt problem, an SASL problem, or something else.

I open mutt, tell it to connect (press "c") and feed it imap://user:pass@servername . It finds the TLS certificitate fine, tells me it's authenticating via CRAM-MD5, and then gives me a "SASL Authentication Failed" error.

My logfiles look like this:
    Code:
    Jul 25 10:19:46 localhost imaplogin: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jul 25 10:19:46 localhost imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], command=CAPABILITY
    Jul 25 10:19:46 localhost imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], command=STARTTLS
    Jul 25 10:19:47 localhost imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], command=CAPABILITY
    Jul 25 10:19:48 localhost imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], command=AUTHENTICATE
    Jul 25 10:19:51 localhost imaplogin: authdaemon: starting client module
    Jul 25 10:19:51 localhost imaplogin: authdaemon: REJECT
    Jul 25 10:19:56 localhost imaplogin: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jul 25 10:19:58 localhost imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], command=LOGOUT
    Now if I telnet it instead, I get the following:

Code:
    # telnet localhost 143
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.localdomain.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-SHA1 IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2004 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.
    imap login user@servername pass
    imap OK LOGIN Ok.
    imap logout
    * BYE Courier-IMAP server shutting down
    imap OK LOGOUT completed
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    And the logs:
    Code:
    Jul 25 12:53:29 localhost imaplogin: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jul 25 12:53:47 localhost imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], command=LOGIN
    Jul 25 12:53:47 localhost imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], username=user@servername
    Jul 25 12:53:47 localhost imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], password=pass
    Jul 25 12:53:47 localhost imaplogin: authdaemon: starting client module
    Jul 25 12:53:47 localhost imaplogin: authdaemon: ACCEPT, username user@servername
    Jul 25 12:53:47 localhost imaplogin: LOGIN, user=user@servername, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], protocol=IMAP
    Jul 25 12:56:34 localhost imaplogin: LOGOUT, user=user@servername, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], headers=0, body=0, time=167
    Is someone able to shed some light on this? The box is in another location, so I'm unable to test it locally with a GUI client like mozilla-thunderbird, etc. I will try to get near it eventually and test with other clients. Is mutt the problem? Or did I break something?

[edit]
    World's quickest edit! The username is "user@servername". When using mutt and telling it to connect to imap://user:pass@servername, the username is only "user".

Instead, I now tell mutt to connect to "imap://servername". It prompts me for a username, which I enter as "user@servername" (ie: the complete entry from "id" column from the "users" table) and the correct password, and I am in.

Sometimes you just need to talk out your problem, and the solution becomes clear.

And once again, thanks heaps to Flurdy for the clear and concise guide. Great software is nothing without people who take the time to explain/howto it.
    Last edited by elvis; July 25th, 2006 at 04:21 AM.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast