So here are some specs to start things off:
- MSI CR720 Laptop
- Core i5
- 8GB Ram
- 500 GB HD
- Ubuntu 10.10

Now to the issue. Say I just got to work and I am turning on my laptop from a full shutdown, after I log in, I connect an external monitor. Once I open Monitor Preferences it will initiate the connected monitor and I can move things to the new monitor, and it all works well.

Now when I have to leave at the end of the day, first I open Monitor Preferences then I select the external monitor and then click the off radio button, then apply. Ubuntu does it's thing, it moves all the windows to the laptop display, and then, it's done. Now I can close my computer and go home.

Now when i get home, I connect to an external monitor there as well. Mind you, so far I haven't shut the computer off. I can work as normal, moving windows between monitors etc... Now, when it's time to disconnect the external monitor again I open Monitor Preferences, select the external display, and hit off then apply. At the moment, the jig is up, my computer locks up completely.

So to make an already told, long story, short. When I disconnect an external monitor though Monitor Preferences after my computer has been suspended or hibernated, it will lock up. If however I do the same after a clean start up, it will disconnect just fine.

Anyone got any ideas where I can start troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks a million ahead of time.