Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! Gigabyte M/B "970A-UD3" won't boot from USB

Beans

Re: HELP! Gigabyte M/B "970A-UD3" won't boot from USB

I had the same problem with my GA-970A-D3 motherboard. It was not possible to boot from USB (stick or USB card).
    I found out that the reason for this behaviour is the formatting of the USB medium.
    I tried many formatting tools but only the "HP USB Disk Sorage Format Tool" succeeded.
    So my way to get a bootable Ubuntu USB medium for my GA-970A-D3 motherboard is
    1. Format the USB medium with "HP USB Disk Sorage Format Tool"
    2. Use "Startup Disk Creator" or "UNetbootin" to get it bootable with an Ubuntu distribution.

Beans

"1. Format the USB medium with "HP USB Disk Sorage Format Tool"
    2. Use "Startup Disk Creator" or "UNetbootin" to get it bootable with an Ubuntu distribution. "

This is fine and dandy for those who want to do live-usb booting but I need to do a permanent install on a micro-sd card where the sd card will be formatted.

End users shouldn't have to use a specific tool for formatting their USB drives. This is definitely an issue with the motherboard firmware. Gigabyte needs to address this issue.

But thank you for your words of wisdom dirkbecker31.

Beans

This is fine and dandy for those who want to do live-usb booting but I need to do a permanent install on a micro-sd card where the sd card will be formatted.
    The only way in this case is to format the SD card with FAT32 (with "HP USB Disk Sorage Format Tool") and then to install Ubuntu without formatting.
    I know this is not nice...

Beans

Hi people.
    Finding myself having the same issue... My thumbdrive is a first-price thumbdrive, but it boots fine with just any other computer. This is the first time I'm having a computer that refuses to boot from USB and I'm tempted to say that if it comes from the mobo, then I'll never go for Gigabyte again.
    Anyway, just upgraded BIOS from f1 to f4, but as said by other people previously, it didn't help.
    I'm GRRRBMLDM!
    If you guys have a solution... I'm all ears!
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,

I have this motherboard, and the only way to boot from the flash drive is to install the iso of ubuntu from Windows with a program like "USB Universal Installer" or "LinuxLIVE USB Creator". I managed to boot from USB and do the installation, but when rebooting the first appears classic screen purple and then turns pink and there is, can not start Ubuntu 12.04
    The live usb works fine. For now I'm using Windows in this machine and I hope the next release of Ubuntu solve the problem. I think the issue is relative to the graphics card: Gigabyte 6670.

Rolo
    Last edited by Rolo linux; May 4th, 2012 at 05:00 AM.

Beans

My solution - use plop boot manager launched from GRUB. It works fine with all USB flash drives.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Old thread closed.
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12