Thread: Can't remove Unity? (I installed Gnome-Shell)

Beans
    Hidden!

Can't remove Unity? (I installed Gnome-Shell)

I installed GNOME Shell in a fresh install of Oneiric.

Then I tried removing Unity.

It tells me doing so will also remove gnome-session.

Are you kidding me?

Is it possible at all to purge Unity from my hard drive while keeping Gnome 3 and Gnome-Shell?

[edit] Another question. About proprietary drivers.
    In the "Additional Drivers" window, I see the following two listed:

"ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-release updates)"
    and
    "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver"

Do I install both of these?
    Last edited by 8_Bit; October 13th, 2011 at 06:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't remove Unity? (I installed Gnome-Shell)

Quote Originally Posted by 8_Bit View Post
    I installed GNOME Shell in a fresh install of Oneiric.

Then I tried removing Unity.

It tells me doing so will also remove gnome-session.

Are you kidding me?

Is it possible at all to purge Unity from my hard drive while keeping Gnome 3 and Gnome-Shell?
    Yes it is.
    The only package you need to keep is libunity6. Do not ask me why, it is of no use either with gnome-shell and gnome-panel.
    Anyway, nautilus depends on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, Canonical is persistent on Unity, and you won't be able to remove it...quite annoying for those who prefer the gnome-panel.
    As for the proprietary drivers, I think you should install both, but it's most likely safe to experiment with them.
    EDIT: If you proceed with the unity uninstallation, if gnome-session is removed, you wont be able to boot into Gnome Shell, Gnome Classic, nor Unity. If a removal of unity is possible without breaking essential components I do not know about it. Personally, I have no objection against Unity though.
    Last edited by lolpenguin; October 13th, 2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: forgot to include some stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lolpenguin View Post
    Well, Canonical is persistent on Unity, and you won't be able to remove it...quite annoying for those who prefer the gnome-panel.
    As for the proprietary drivers, I think you should install both, but it's most likely safe to experiment with them.
    EDIT: If you proceed with the unity uninstallation, if gnome-session is removed, you wont be able to boot into Gnome Shell, Gnome Classic, nor Unity. If a removal of unity is possible without breaking essential components I do not know about it. Personally, I have no objection against Unity though.
    Unity can be removed, the only library package that cannot be removed is, like I said above, libunity6.
    As for the package gnome-session, it is a dependency of Gnome-shell and should not be removed. You start the Gnome-shell session by choosing gnome-session.

I have three setups, where Gnome-shell and Gnome-panel (the fallback) are the only shells installed, so no Unity (3D nor 2D) there.