Thread: System76 lemur + 11.04 crashing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Angry System76 lemur + 11.04 crashing

I'm at a loss and becoming quite frustrated with this current problem, and am posting in hopes that someone might be able to offer a few suggestions. The symptoms are essentially this...

- ~90% of the time, I'll boot the computer and after 10-15 minutes it will crash. Lights out, no warning, no error messages

- ~5% of the time, I'll boot the computer and it will start beeping at me. It will beep a handful of times, starting right away when I boot the computer. A minute later, it will crash. Again, no error messages or visual warning ahead of time.

- ~5% of the time, it works just fine. This isn't necessarily after I've left it alone for a while and given it a chance to cool down.

It's been suggested that it may be a cooling or a memory problem.

- I've propped the computer up, put it on ice packs, tried running it in the fridge, and none of these things seem to help.
    - The fan seems to be running. It's quiet and sounds the way it always has.

I can't tell if it's a hardware or a software problem. The only other thing I've noticed, and can't tell if it's related or not, but whenever I'm installing something from synaptic, I've been getting an error message:

E: linux-headers-2.6.38-10-generic: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
    E: linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
    E: linux-headers-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks in advance for any hints!

Beans

Re: System76 lemur + 11.04 crashing

There is a good chance someone here is going to say re-seat your memory, try running from a liveCD and try to reproduce the erratic behavior and/or run memtest86. So I'd give that a shot now if I were you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: System76 lemur + 11.04 crashing

Probably you've solved this, but check http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1269508 (dust bunny in fan). Worked for me.