Thread: Samba shares and guest acount

Beans

[SOLVED] Samba shares and guest acount

I am trying out samba configuration and access rights.

I have user account X and this user wants to share publicly (readonly) directory /Y/Z, that belongs to him, and has access rights drwx------. My current samba configuration for this share is

Code:
    [X]
       comment = X directory
       path = /Y/Z
       guest ok = yes
       guest only = yes
       guest account = X
       read only = yes
    As far as I understand samba configuration, this should map any access to this share to guest user, in this case user X, and therefore grant read access (because user X has read acces to this dir). However on attempt to mount i get
    Code:
    root@MACHINA:/mnt# smbmount -o guest //localhost/X /mnt/test/
    Warning: mapping 'guest' to 'guest,sec=none'
    mount error(13): Permission denied
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
    If change access rights to /Y/Z directory to a bit less restrictive, (drwx--x--x) mount succedes but listing mounted dir causes Access Denied error. After going to (drwxr-xr-x), it works well, which suggests that another account is being used. Changing read only to no, mounting and touching a file shows that nobody user is being used inspite of guest account command. Does anybody know why is this happening?

Server has set
    Code:
    map to guest = bad user
    and
    Code:
    usershare allow guests = yes
    , although I doubt this last one has any meaning, as all shares are configured in smb.conf, so they are not usershares. I am using smbd 3.5.8 on kubuntu 11.04.
    Last edited by j_kubik; November 4th, 2011 at 02:31 PM.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: Samba shares and guest acount

Quote Originally Posted by j_kubik View Post
    If change access rights to /Y/Z directory to a bit less restrictive, (drwx--x--x) mount succedes but listing mounted dir causes Access Denied error.
    As it should be because 'x' is generally meaningless without 'r'.

Changing read only to no, mounting and touching a file shows that nobody user is being used inspite of guest account command.
    Samba's 'guest' user is mapped to UNIX 'nobody' user by default:
    http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Freq...s#guest_access
    Last edited by prodigy_; October 13th, 2011 at 01:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bear in mind that Samba cannot override underlying filesystem permissions.

Allowing guest access in the samba configuration will be irrelevant if the shared folder and files permission is set like drwx------ that means only the owner of said folder/files can access them regardless of what samba would like to do. Unless you connect to the samba share using the owner's username & password.

I ~think~ what you need is to chmod the permission on the folder/files to octal 0744 or maybe 0755 if users connecting to the share need to execute things stored there (the latter sounds dangerous to me!).

I'm a permissions newb so please wait for further clarification from those more knowledgable All I know is filesystem permissions will always trump samba permissions.
    Last edited by cryptotheslow; October 13th, 2011 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typo.... again!

Beans

What i wantet to achieve is to have samba use X user credencials (guest account = X), and therefore gain filesystem-access to directory, and then map user X as guest ("guest account" command again ), therefore granting access for remote user on samba acces check level.

Now I noted that "guest account" is global command, so I cannot use it for single share - I guess filesystem permissions are the only way to go then.