Thread: Killed my display - how do I reset the settings?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Killed my display - how do I reset the settings?

Hi, I just changed the refresh rate in the display settings on xubuntu 10.10. The screen went blank. When I restart I get the log in screen and I can use the recovery console - I have tried a few instructions with xrandr to set it to different refresh rates but none of them work - always goes blank when I log in, I have also tried to delete the configuration file with:

Code:
    sudo rm ~/.config/monitors.xml
    or

Code:
    sudo rm /home/conal/monitors.xml
    but both of these say "no such file or directory"

BASICALLY: Is there a way to completely reset the display settings in xubuntu 10.10?

The display worked out of the box on install - this problem was cause by me idly clicking about - doh!

I usually post in the apple forums as this is a powerPC eMac, but I don't think this question is specific to the powerPc architecture - or to macs.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

Conal
    A 1Ghz G4 iMac 'Lampy' with MintPPC 9 & OS X 10.5, a 400Mhz Slot loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4, a 1Ghz eMac with Lubuntu 12.04 and a 233Mhz Tray Loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4

Beans

Re: Killed my display - how do I reset the settings?

Quote Originally Posted by conal View Post
    Hi, I just changed the refresh rate in the display settings on xubuntu 10.10. The screen went blank. When I restart I get the log in screen and I can use the recovery console - I have tried a few instructions with xrandr to set it to different refresh rates but none of them work - always goes blank when I log in, I have also tried to delete the configuration file with:

Code:
    sudo rm ~/.config/monitors.xml
    or

Code:
    sudo rm /home/conal/monitors.xml
    but both of these say "no such file or directory"

BASICALLY: Is there a way to completely reset the display settings in xubuntu 10.10?

The display worked out of the box on install - this problem was cause by me idly clicking about - doh!

I usually post in the apple forums as this is a powerPC eMac, but I don't think this question is specific to the powerPc architecture - or to macs.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

Conal
    use Xrandr

see this...

http://pihalf.wordpress.com/2009/11/...e-with-xrandr/

Google for others

xrandr change refresh rate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ooooh, that might work! I'll get back to you shortly (no laptop or printer so gonna have to write this down and go to broken box!).
    A 1Ghz G4 iMac 'Lampy' with MintPPC 9 & OS X 10.5, a 400Mhz Slot loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4, a 1Ghz eMac with Lubuntu 12.04 and a 233Mhz Tray Loading G3 iMac with Debian Squeeze & OS X 10.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well that definitely restarted the display while I was using recovery mode, but still when log in the screen goes blank - I think this must be something user specific?!