Thread: Pangolin and gnome 3 graphics

Beans

Pangolin and gnome 3 graphics

I have a System76 Pangolin Performance laptop with an ATI video card. I'm running Ubuntu Oneiric and I'm very excited to get to use Gnome 3 instead of Unity by installing the gnome-shell package.

The 3d support is very messed up, however. It seems to work fine in unity though, so I think this is most likely an issue with gnome 3 not supporting my video driver. The bar at the top of the screen is has random blocks of cyan all over it, and every time I do something that requires 3d-ness (like press the Super key and watch all my open windows re-arrange) the display flickers and a lot. Interestingly enough, when I take screenshots with the printscreen the cyan blocks stay. I've attached a screenshot.

When I run lspci, here is my video card:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series]

Without installing any proprietary drivers I have some 3d support. In Additional Drivers the options are "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver" and "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-release updates)" and neither of those solve this problem. I went to ATI's website and downloaded their drivers (a binary file you run as root), and installed it, and it removed all 3d support altogether. I have managed to uninstall it.

Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Pangolin and gnome 3 graphics

You're getting the problem using both the open source and the proprietary video drivers?
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    You're getting the problem using both the open source and the proprietary video drivers?
    Yup. The problem appears to be the same with both drivers. Both drivers appear to work fine with Unity though.

Beans

I have the same problem with the same video card in a hp pavilion dv6 laptop. Any solution to this?
    "LINUX, MS-DOS, Windows : known as the Good, the Bad and the Ugly."
    http://www.gnome.gr

Beans

Same issue here with the exact same specs and situation as the OP. Any help from System76?

Beans

Unhappy Re: Pangolin and gnome 3 graphics

I have the same issue (same problem, same hardware). I've tried both open and proprietary drivers, no joy. Any suggestions? Any solutions?

Has anyone at System76 been able to replicate the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We have been able to replicate the issue, and have confirmed that the issue is with the ATI proprietary drivers. Gnome Shell is incompatible with the ATI proprietary drivers, and trying to remove the drivers does not completely remove them, preventing use of any 3D accelerated environment. You can properly remove them using these commands run at a terminal:

Code:
    sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh #This one may not work; if not, that's okay.
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx
    sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg- video-radeon 
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64 xserver-xorg-core
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    This will properly remove the drivers and allow you to run Gnome Shell.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Smile Re: Pangolin and gnome 3 graphics

Thank you. That worked.

I executed the commands as you suggested. (The first executable didn't exist.) After a quick reboot the new drivers (and the new Gnome) seemed to be in working order.

(Well, I had a [likely unrelated] problem with my wireless networking after the first reboot. But the second reboot did the trick.)

Thanks again.

Beans

Thank you very much. It also worked for me.
    "LINUX, MS-DOS, Windows : known as the Good, the Bad and the Ugly."
    http://www.gnome.gr