Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ready to install dual boot ubuntu, but want to backup MBR. How/When?

Beans

Re: Ready to install dual boot ubuntu, but want to backup MBR. How/When?

Thanks for that link oldfred, will make reference to it shortly. You said that having no swap may increase boot time as there is a delay while swap is being looked for - how can I check my installation is using swap properly?

I added my swap partition after installing so not sure it is being used. And I tend to get a 15 second black screen between my grub screen and ubuntu being loaded, doubling my start up time.

In Network Monitor my swap always shows 0% use but that may be expected as I am using <1GB of RAM from 8GB capacity. I did run a command from terminal (cant rmbr it now) to check my swappiness, which returned the default value of 60, but I thought that may come back regardless of swap being present.

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    Re: hibernation - the new OS's with as fast as they boot to me makes hibernation sort of a mute point.
    Dave
    Yeah, agreed Dave!

If I change my thread to [SOLVED] will I no longer get replies? My original query is solved, but I have more

Shane

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A lot of people stop looking once its is solved. But if different issues best to start a new thread with better title anyway.

You really do not want to use swap as it is at least 10 times slower than RAM. With lots of RAM Linux caches recent activity in RAM so RAM may look more full than it really is and it will only start using swp when current running program(s) fill all of RAM. Video editing can use a lot of RAM otherwise you just about have to load every program you have all at once.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sw...20change%20it?

Memory use including swap
    free -m
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks again oldfred.

As suspected, I have zero swap coming up so I will go to the swapfaq and work it out.

Cheers,
    Shane

Beans

Smile Re: Ready to install dual boot ubuntu, but want to backup MBR. How/When?

I checked if swap was enabled with the 'cat /etc/fstab' command in terminal (as per Enabling Swap in swapfaq), and there was no line present for my swap. Also noticed my swap use showed as 0% of 0.0GB in the monitoring software (duhhh...).

I thought I would try remedying this by auto-mounting my swap partition using Storage Device Management ('pysmd') and when I clicked Yes to 'do you want to enable this partition' it detected it was swap itself. Reboot, and I am showing 7.7GB Ram and 8.8GB swap. Too easy... ha. Hasn't fixed the 16 seconds of dead time before booting up tho.

I will mark this thread solved anyway, thanks all for the help.
    Shane

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123