Thread: Netbook Optimised Ubuntus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Netbook Optimised Ubuntus

I've an Acer Aspire One (ZG5 with a 16GB SSD as the main drive) netbook that's currently running one of the 2009 Ubuntu Netbook Remixes so I think I should probably do a clean install of something newer. I plan to stick on the next LTS once that's released next year, but for now either Natty, or Oneiric once its released, will do. The trouble is I can't find any netbook optimised versions of ubuntu anymore.

I've looked it up a bit and have seen some places mention that UNR/UNE got merged into the main release with Natty. The release notes of Natty also indicate that there's no netbook version but does mention that there's a netbook image for ARM, so what does this mean?

So yeah, I'm a tad confused by all this so any advice would be great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Netbook Optimised Ubuntus

The netbook edition was nothing but a small screen tailored interface on top of the regular Ubuntu distro. It wasn't fit or optimized for netbooks in any other way. The last usable netbook edition was 10.04 (10.10 UNE was experimental), and as of 11.04, the UNE was dropped, since the new Unity interface was deemed fit for small and large screens alike.

ARM is a different architecture, and is irrelevant for Intel based netbooks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Netbook Optimised Ubuntus

Ah, ok. I always thought UNR was designed to run on smaller systems with things like Atom cores.

I guess then it'll just be standard Natty then, that or try something like mint maybe...

Cheers!