Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing AutoKey - the (totally rewritten) text expansion and hotkey utility

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Announcing AutoKey - the (totally rewritten) text expansion and hotkey utility

AutoKey is a text replacement and hotkey utility. It allows you to manage collection of phrases or other text, and assign abbreviations and hotkeys to these phrases allowing you to insert them on demand into whatever program you are using. This is the most basic functionality, and is similar to a well-known Windows utility called AutoHotkey.

AutoKey works by sending and receiving keyboard events via the X server. As such it is compatible with any version of Linux running an X server that has the RECORD extension available/enabled. Full unicode support is provided and it should in theory work with any keyboard layout.

This new version has been totally rewritten, along with having many new features, including a full-featured GUI for managing the configuration.

In depth:
    • Phrases can be collected into folders.
    • Folders can also be assigned abbreviations and hotkeys, allowing you choose a phrase from the folder on entering the abbreviation/hotkey
    • Regular expressions can be used to filter windows by their title, to excludes hotkeys/abbreviations from triggering in certain applications
    • Phrases or folders can be attached to the tray icon menu, allowing you to select them without assigning a hotkey or abbreviation
    • A predictive mode can be enabled on a phrase-by-phrase basis. AutoKey will then suggest matching phrase(s) as you type a configurable number of characters from the beginning of the phrase (see screenshot below)
    • AutoKey can track your usage patterns and present the most frequently used items at the top of the phrase menu
    • A plugin framework provides the ability to extend AutoKey
    • An import facility allows users of AutoKey 0.40.x to import their existing abbreviations

This release is essentially a beta, but it is thoroughly unit-tested and should be trouble free. We are also looking for someone with experience in Debian packaging to package the application, which is released under GPL v3 (naturally).

Visit the SourceForge.net download page to download the source code, which is written entirely in Python and can be run as is (by running the autokey.sh shell script). Ensure that you have the required packages installed as listed on the release notes page.

Potential future features:
    • Autocorrect and spell checking as-you-type (in ANY application)
    • Automatic recognition and storage of frequently-typed sentences (using the Python Natural Language Toolkit)

Any comments/criticism/patches welcomed

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Announcing AutoKey - the (totally rewritten) text expansion and hotkey utility

An update has been released today to fix a few minor UI issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Announcing AutoKey - the (totally rewritten) text expansion and hotkey utility

Version 0.52.0 has just been released. The changelog details fixes/improvements, but the following are the major highlights:

• A popup similar to Tracker, where you can enter an abbreviation and have it autocompleted for you. Can be activated using a configurable hotkey or by clicking on the tray icon.
    • In GTK-based applications, AutoKey can now type any character, even if it is not defined in the user's keyboard mapping.

Download it from here

Beans

Hi! I have a fresh install of Mint 6. I downloaded the zipped autokey file and unzipped it to my home directory. I downloaded python-configobj and python-xlib -- I noticed that python-xlib0 was already installed. Anyhow, I cannot get autokey to run. Do you think that having python-xlib and python-xlib0 is causing the problem?

I can't wait to try this new version out!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MarshaG

Beans

I answered my own questions - DO NOT REMOVE PYTHON-XLIB0 from Linux Mint 6 Felicia - BAD BAD BAD!!!!

MarshaG.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by marshag63 View Post
    I answered my own questions - DO NOT REMOVE PYTHON-XLIB0 from Linux Mint 6 Felicia - BAD BAD BAD!!!!

MarshaG.
    Glad you worked it out - hope you find AutoKey useful.

Beans

cdekter, unfortunately I am unable to use it. Linux Mint 6 needs python-xlib0, or the install is "borked". Even though I downloaded python-xlib and installed it, I could not get Autokey to run.

Any chance Autokey will move to python-xlib0?

MarshaG

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not sure why mint has two different versions of the package. They must fundamentally be the same thing. Can you please post the terminal output that prints when you start AutoKey so I can try and determine the cause of the problem.

Beans

First a little background on my install:
    P4 Gateway, 512 MB Ram, Linux Mint 6 (Felicia) - fresh install.

I used Synaptic to download python-configobj and python-xlib. Then I went to the autokey webpage and downloaded the latest autokey zipped file to my desktop. I double clicked on the zip file and the archive program opened up. I extracted the contents of the zip file to /home/username. I then opened a terminal and type "autokey.sh" with the following results:

bash: autokey.sh: command not found

MarshaG.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You need to set the autokey.sh script to be executable, then run it using

./autokey.sh

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast