Thread: TFTP Very Slow

Beans

TFTP Very Slow

I recently upgraded systems from Ubuntu 10.04 on a Core2 Quad to 11.04 on an i7. After setting everything up, I noticed I was having issues with tftp.

I apt-get installed: xinetd tftpd tftp

I created /etc/xinetd.d/tftp with the following:

service tftp
    {
    protocol = udp
    port = 69
    socket_type = dgram
    wait = yes
    user = nobody
    server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
    server_args = /tftpboot
    disable = no
    }

But tftp get from another machine to the new one is running extremely slow - around 1,442B/second. For comparison, on my old machine, tftp gets would run at about 1,000,000B/second, so there is an order of magnitude in the hundreds difference. I use tftp to load a 3 MB image on another system and it used to take 3 seconds and now takes 30 minutes!

I'm at a loss for what could possibly be the issue and what to do and any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Beans

Re: TFTP Very Slow

Some more debugging information:

I've tested downloaded speeds and they're through the roof, so it seems to be something innately tied to tftp and not networking as a whole.

Also, checking "netstat -a | grep tftp" does return the expected "udp 0 0 *:tftp" but again, it takes about 15 seconds while on my other system it's instantaneous.

Beans

Hi

Did you find the reason for this? tftp was fine in Ubuntu 10.04LTS for me, but is very slow in Ubuntu 12.04LTS.

David

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Maybe if you try using FTP or some other transfer protocol , you could check if this is related specifically to TFTP or if this is a problem with file transfers in general.

If your hardcore, you could try using iperf to get some BW measurements and compare UDP versus TCP
    (TFTP uses UDP, FTP uses TFTP)

If its more of a general problem maybe installing and using ethtool may help you see if there is something up with the interface.
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.