Thread: How to have /boot partition on separate hard drive from / hard drive

Beans

Question How to have /boot partition on separate hard drive from / hard drive

I am planning to build my own computer and don't want to buy a gigantic ssd for fast speeds, just a fast boot speeds. I am going to buy a 32GB SSD to house my /boot partition and drivers. Is there a way to put the boot partition on the ssd and have the / "root" directory on the main 1TB Drive?

Beans

Re: How to have /boot partition on separate hard drive from / hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by AsifHirai View Post
    Is there a way to put the boot partition on the ssd and have the / "root" directory on the main 1TB Drive?
    Yes, and it is also not that hard to do - if you know how to use the partition manager that is part of the installation process. You just have to create a partition on your ssd and set its "mount point" to /boot. Then create another partition on your hdd and set its mount point to /.

However, if you have a little more space on your ssd to spare I would recommend to put the whole root directory on your ssd (12 GB should suffice). You can then create another partition on your hdd and set its mount point to /home. This way all your data will be on the slow hard drive and the system and all software resides on your ssd, i.e. faster system AND program startup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to have /boot partition on separate hard drive from / hard drive

This is totally possible to do. Only chime in to put your /home partition separately.

Good luck.