Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

@Gart3nzw3rg
    Unfortunately the s205 has got a RT3090 chip for wireless, and I have not yet figured out how to make it work. -at speeds above 80Kb/sec.

The UEFI bios is a newer BIOS system that is replacing the older BIOS as we know it. Among other things it protects against viruses that writes in the bootloader.
    The problem is that the manufactures make them only to look for windows bootloaders and not our Linux bootloaders.....
    There are all kinds of workarounds the solves the problem.

Beans
    Distro

@pingpongmarshall

I hope i am...
    It runs really smooth and fast in windows, and in the end Ubuntu always end up running better than Windows. We just need a better graphics driver.
    Just look at the geekbench score, mine are the ones that reads 2241 and 2060.

Edit: forgot the link. http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/search?q=E-450
    Last edited by moteprime; October 24th, 2011 at 07:16 AM.

Beans

Question about this.

I JUST got my S205 with E-450 processor (like, I installed ubuntu earlier today) and am so far loving it! What a cool laptop!

I, like all, had the requisite issues of installing, wifi drivers, and then graphics drivers. I figured out the first two (google search is my friend here), but am left wondering on the third. Now, I get that this is pretty new hardware, and official drivers from ATI are coming (right? right?). But here's my question:

I followed the instructions in post 13, rebooted, and all works great. From the splash screen showing in the right resolution, to 720p youtube streaming, it works. But, my battery life took a 50% hit, and my fan stays on constantly. Is that what to expect from this stock driver? If so, I'm willing to live with the "unsupported" splash on the bottom right. I guess my question is more of a confirmation - do other people have similar experiences with the stock graphics driver?

Beans
    Distro

I haven't noticed any abnormal battery or fan behaviour while using any of the two drivers.

Pure curiosity, what solutions did you use for installing and wifi? If it's to much off topic, just send me a message.

Beans

Yeah, I'll keep an eye on battery life. I think Ubuntu is still getting calibrated - I get estimated life of anywhere between 10 hours and 1 hour, usually ending up with around 3.5 to 4. Hopefully a better driver can optimize this, as I'm noticing my fan on more and more.

But to the (offtopic) point:

To get wireless working I did this:
    - connect via the wired ethernet port
    - apt-get install wicd
    - apt-get remove network-manager
    - disconnect the wired ethernet port
    - rfkill unblock all
    - start wicd from the applications menu, then use it to connect to your wireless connection.
    (taken from: http://helms-deep.cable.nu/~rwh/blog/?p=177)

To install, I was attempting to dualboot with 7, starting with a fresh installation of 7 (had to get rid of the stock bloatware that came on it). Unfortunately, best I could tell, it tried to use a different BIOS, or something, causing Ubuntu to declare bad HDD sectors and refusing to install. I ended up removing 7 altogether, and just doing a clean install of Ubuntu, at which point it worked perfectly. If I ever need win7, I'll probably dual boot at that point, but after having Ubuntu on my old laptop for 4 years, and never booting into Vista, I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Hope this helps! And AMD, if you're listening, please update your drivers!!

Beans

New drivers has been released... i'm trying to build deb packages from the .run script, but it doesn't work.
    If someone will try, please let me know how performance is.

Right now i'm running radeon driver, with power managemet setted up and it works quite good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pingpongmarshall View Post
    i'm trying to build deb packages from the .run script, but it doesn't work.
    What for? You just edit the file properties - permissions - allow it to be executed and doubleclick it.

Performance is like that but my case is weird... :/

Beans

I have managed to install the new Catalyst driver, although with insane amount of PITA. :/ I have followed instructions from http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide with googling of consequent errors.

First, the installer was complaining about missing .so file in /usr/share/ati/lib64 . Removing whole dir /usr/share/ati/lib64 helped.

Then, fglrx*.deb install complained about conflicting with previous versions. Previous version of fglrx prooved to be absolutely unremoveable, due to update-rc.d throwing a warning. I have manually edited file /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx.postrm so that the line with update-rc.d read:
    Code:
    update-rc.d -f atieventsd remove >/dev/null
    (added -f option).

Uninstall still complained about dirs being not empty, so I have removed dirs /usr/share/ati and /etc/ati completely.

That did the trick and the driver installed ok. (Remember to generate new /etc/X11/xorg.conf.)

The only visible improvement is no "AMD unsupported hardware" logo. The performance is still less than stellar:
    Code:
    bebe@schuttenbach:~$ fglrxinfo 
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics
    OpenGL version string: 4.1.11161 Compatibility Profile Context

bebe@schuttenbach:~$ fgl
    fgl_glxgears  fglrxinfo     
    bebe@schuttenbach:~$ fgl_glxgears 
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    1509 frames in 5.0 seconds = 301.800 FPS
    1530 frames in 5.0 seconds = 306.000 FPS
    1481 frames in 5.0 seconds = 296.200 FPS
    1474 frames in 5.0 seconds = 294.800 FPS
    bebe@schuttenbach:~$
    In the System Info the driver is still reported as VESA: WRESTLER . I'm kind of devoid of any more ideas.

I'm using MSI Wind U270 with E-450 and HD6320.

Beans
    Distro

There as a discussion going on here.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1873072

According to this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTAwODg

There should be "and 2D performance improvements for the AMD Brazos platform".

So should it not be worth a try?

-Does anybody have an idea about when it will reach the official repos?

Beans
    Distro

I installed Catalyst 11.10 and it definitely runs a lot better than both the open source driver and the old AMD proprietary driver.
    It's still not there, but an improvement.

Edit: The launcher seems to have broke somehow. the trash can is always on, the launcher scrolls ok, but cannot do that collapse thing where the icons are pressed together. And the alt+tab function is small and not so cool looking.
    And workspace switching also functions "oldstyle".
    Last edited by moteprime; November 3rd, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast