Thread: Issues with Ubuntu on an iMac

Beans

Issues with Ubuntu on an iMac

I finally killed off my iMac Leopard install and having lost the Leopard OS disk I decided to fall back to Ubuntu.

Everything works for the most part but I have some really annoying niggles.

Unfortunately my silly Mac keyboard has no print screen button so I will do my best to describe the 3 key issues.

1) Pressing the 'cmd' button brings up the search box. The problem is that I have been working in 4 work spaces for a couple of hours. Now the search box falls under windows instead of going over them. To resolve this I need to move the window. Has anyone else come across this before?

2) With spaces, if a window spills out of one work space into the left side of another, the Unity menu falls behind the window. So to view the Unity menu I need to go to a space which doesn't have a window spilling in from the left. Is there a way to stop the overflow of spaces?

3) I have installed Spotify via PlayOnLinux. I have also installed the Linux version of Skype. They put icons next to the bluetooth / wireless icons in the top bar. After a couple of hours use these icons are no longer clickable. The only way I can interact with them is to kill the process in the system monitor, then relaunch the application. If I close the application and have it running in the top bar the icons still don't work. The application runs fine when this is happening. Its just with Spotify I cannot change track or open it again because the icon is dead.

4) Not a real issue, just a bit odd. Spotify works fine. Plays tracks etc etc. However it has some funky colors. If someone can tell me how I can print screen without a print screen button I can demonstrate. I was wondering if there was a setting somewhere that would remedy this. Very minor though.

Beans

Re: Issues with Ubuntu on an iMac

Update. Not sure what has happened but I just noticed that now Spotify + Skype are not displaying an icon in the top bar at all.

This appears to have fixed both the search bar and unity problems where they would fall under windows.

Just makes it impossible to use Skype / Spotify if I close the windows.

Beans

Re: Issues with Ubuntu on an iMac

Day 2.

Running 11.04

I think the same thing happened today. I have been using the computer for 4 hours or so. I checked that the Spotify / Skype icons in the top bar were working when I started them. About 30 minutes or so I was using the Skype icons. Everything is fine.

Looking now, both program icons have disappeared, which means if I close them to become background tasks they become unusable. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this or any tests I can run to help determine the cause?

If it was only Spotify I would think it is something to do with Wine. However Skype is a Linux application..