Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Miracle?

Beans

Ubuntu Miracle?

Hi there guys. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot but I'm brand new to the forum. I've been a Ubuntu user for quite some time now (I've had it on my desktop in the past, and laptops) but recently I dug out an old netbook that I had- the Acer Aspire One to be exact.

The Windows XP that was on it was slow at best, really just a waste of hdd space.

So today I installed a fresh version of 10.10 netbook ubuntu, and something really amazing happened. My netbook battery had been completely shot for about a year now (held no change), but now, all of a sudden, it charges again?

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing before? I mean this battery was completely dead- didn't hold ANY charge, and now it's charging fine?

Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Miracle?

maybe Ubuntu isn't telling you the right battery percentage "says it sarcastically"
    GNU/Linux IS AWESOME!
    4 Year Veteran of Linux
    [Arch Linux]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Speaking of miracles...

Beans

Well I guess the real test will be when I unplug it! I plan to just wait until it "says" the charge is 100% and go from there.

I hope it's not just a misread! Although I wouldn't be too surprised if it fixed my netbook, my experience with ubuntu thus far has been awesome.

Beans

An operating system is not going to magically fix your battery. You probably have a worn out/defective battery, and Ubuntu is misreading it. That's a fairly common thing for Ubuntu to misread a battery's state. I've had Ubuntu report my perfectly fine battery as being broken.

Beans

It works now. The battery charged fully and I'm running this thing on battery power as we speak.

This is by far the strangest thing I've ever noticed, but it could have to do with something else too.

A couple years ago somebody wasted a soft drink all over my net book, so I took the whole thing apart and put it in rice. When I put it back together, everything worked perfectly. About 6 months after that, my battery wouldn't retain charge and eventually completely died I had charging it and doing anything else I could to it, but nothing worked.

So like I said, today I put a new installation of Ubuntu on it and now it's charged.

Quite possibly it's coincidence, but I think my chances of the battery charging with Windows XP still on would have been far less considering that it hasn't charged a bit for the last year!

Beans

I simply just cannot buy this.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well, hopefully it's still good after a couple of charge/drain cycles, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I simply just cannot buy this.
    Yes. I can't see Ubuntu recharging your battery if the cells are dead.

Are you sure it was not a hardware issue such as a bad contact with the connected battery or a dry joint (loose connector) somewhere or other some such.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

It probably means that from all the banging around, the battery is making proper contact again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast