Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help computer freezing

Beans

Help computer freezing

I am having a problem with my desktop PC, It seems as if my processor cant handle the simplest of tasks, for instance i would open up google chrome and go to a website and after about a minute or so the screen would become lightly pixelated, freezes and then becomes unpixelated, my guess is the processor because just waving around my mouse brings it up to about 20 load on both cores.

3 gb ddr2 4200 Ram
    nividia Geforce 8500gt
    AMD phemnom 2 dual core
    Last edited by Noamo30; October 11th, 2011 at 05:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Help computer freeing

Welcome to the forums!

The first thing, that came to my mind was - Is it maybe overheating? If you can, try opening the case, make sure, that you do not void the warranty, doing so!

If the problem goes away, then it is overheating.

If you do so, make sure, that no children or pets have access to your machine nobody should touch anything inside - specially when running (under voltage/plugged in).

The second guess would be the RAM. So while booting, hold down the shift key and in GRUB select the memtest86 option to check the health of your RAM.
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans
    Hidden!

And if it is over heating, try vacuum cleaning your computer (while unplugged).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sanderd17 View Post
    Yes, if there is a lot of dust, vacuume it, specially the ventilators.

Whilst vacuuing, they will spin - do not overdo that, they might get damaged and that will create really bad overheating.

PS. Let me note one more time, to be careful with an open machine, there is a high risk of injury or complete computer failure, if one would touch the insides while it is operating/plugged in! (I almost feel sorry for ever mentioning that possible solution ...)
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sanderd17 View Post
    just a bit of advice, do not Vacum your PC... use compressed air if possible... vacum can create static and **** you PC totally if not careful.

p.s. make sure you PC is up-to-date will all software and try doing the mem test as An Sanct suggested. sounds like it could be RAM... possible HDD...

cheers
    Johnb0y

Linux box is better than a woman because when you screw up with it, at least you get an error message!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Try having top run in the background while doing normal tasks. This will show which application(s) is heavy on the system.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

thanks in advance. but i dont think that it is the HDD or the overheating, it is an ultra computer and has four fans on it, the biggest of which is on the prcoessor, one fan is out however, the fan on the power supply could this be the problem, i used system tests and benchmark, and i cant find a way to upload the results, as for running top i dont see anything out of the ordinary

Beans

https://www.dropbox.com/home#:name-sorter,0::
    i uploaded the results to dropbox in the folder computer

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Noamo30 View Post
    ...one fan is out however, the fan on the power supply...
    That would mean, that basically the PSU is overheating.

This could mean: (examples)
    3,7V instead of 3,0V for RAM, the result RAM corruption, resulting in random pixelation on the monitor and overall strange computer behavior...

10,3V instead of 12,0V for HDD, the result would be strange read/write operations ...

I skipped the current stuff (Amperes), the voltage part is explanatory enough. But just to inform you (I apologize, if you already know), that electric "Power" equals voltage (u) times current (i) square. Giving p = u * i * i.

So get a new PSU - ASAP as excessive voltage or current can actually kill/fry any of the components!

note: read edit, below. At worst, if you really need to use the computer, keep the machine opened, allowing cool air to flow from outside.
    edit: Actually, removing the side of the computer helps only if it is a "static" side, so it has no fans. If the side plate has fans on it, it would actually be better to leave it on, as it cools down the system.
    PS. there is a "go advanced" button left below and by clicking it, you are given more options with editing - amongst them is "attachments" or a paper clip symbol, there you can attach files.
    Last edited by An Sanct; October 12th, 2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: "could be" was striked out and "is" inserted, comment :)
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans

Re: Help computer freezing

thank you an sanct, i do have a fan on the open side of the computer but i could take off the back panel if it helps ive attached the file now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast