Thread: No Terminal window.

Beans

Question No Terminal window.

The sytem i am running is ubuntu natty 64 bit, 2gb ddr ram,amd penom 9500 X4@2.2ghz, asrock alivenf6g-vsta, nvidia 6600gt

Terminal not working. Synaptic not working.

I cannot open a terminal window in either ubuntu or ubuntu classic sessions.

In safe mode i can open and use terminal window.

After shutting down my system accidentally when update manager was performing an update these problems of not having access to a terminal window and synaptic package manager not loading have materialized as well as other niggles like menus changing or disappearing as well as other probs previously prior to breaking something coz i shut down system when i should not have...

I have been having booting probs now too...Just asking for some pointers on how to fix ...

After resetting unity through terminal in a safe mode session then logging off and into a ubuntu session my desktop now is usable again but cannot access synaptic or terminal .
    I have updated and upgraded system through terminal in a safe mode session also. Apparently there is no broken packages detected. No errors.

Any advice or help on fixing terminal and synaptic would be welcomed.
    Last edited by Geezanansa; October 11th, 2011 at 05:19 PM.

Beans

Question Re: No Terminal window.

Ubuntu documentation and google searches give plenty terminal commands for fixing synaptic but i cannot see a terminal window to input commands.

Any body willing to advise on fixing terminal window?...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: No Terminal window.

Without knowing what you tried, it's like shooting in the dark. Ctrl-Shift-t? Alt-F2, type in xterm or gnome-terminal?

Beans

If Ctrl+alt+t the launcher indicates terminal is or has opened but no other visible evidence of terminal window..

????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Ctrl-Shift-t? Alt-F2
    You did mean ctrl+alt+t to open terminal oldos2er?

Using command gnome-terminal from alt+f2 gives same result as any other launcher in system settings etc

I tried alt+f2 then running xterm which gave me this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Is it Ctrl-Alt-t on Unity? I will bow out since I don't use it, sorry.

Beans

Going by what my research is pointing to the problem is a broken apt package.

Process of elimination but terminal not working is proving difficult. Many other apps not working as well as synaptic. Compiz probs? How to reset compiz without terminal? ...

Thanks for your input oldos2er maybe there is now enough info to get some guidance on how to correct and re-enable terminal .

Beans

Any body want to give advice or guidance on how i can get the terminal working again on my system?

I could give pages of gumph what i think and have done but was hoping somebody would ask for info relevant to what they think could be relevant

oldos2er isn't unity just a way of managing system with different gui. ie are the sytem files in 11.04 (or any other version) running without unity the same as system files in 11.04 (or any other version) running with unity OR would the apt package containing terminal be the same in system running either with or without unity?

My google and internet searches are proving valuable in learning how and what terminal is but fruitless in how to fix without terminal available or synaptic.... I need terminal working to fix synaptic

Update manager works but hasn't fixed probs with terminal.

Am i right in thinking unity, synaptic and terminal all share many dependencies on apt package?

So where do i begin.? Was hoping for feedback from these forums but obviously not to be.
    Reformat hard drive and fresh installation?.....
    I don't want to do that

HELP