Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 is almost here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 11.10 is almost here

Quote Originally Posted by PayPaul View Post
    In case I want to use a torrent to download the new release when it's official where is the back page? Is it as complicated to get to as understanding the Dylan song?
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubunt...ve-download#bt

Beans

Hey new guy here as well as new to Linux/Ubuntu. I have a HP DV7 with beta installed beside Win7 and the only issue I have noticed so far is the touchpad issue that has apparently been beaten to death on here. I "fixed" it with the ps/2 mouse change and I have adapted to lack of scroll. I am VERY pleased with 11.10 so far and Linux in general. I am looking forward to the update in the next few hours.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I see things so that the 12.04 prealpha is almost here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Be aware that UDS isn't until the end of the month, so there won't be much happening until after the 4th of November.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes but at least the toolchain upload is already something.
    And, Precise Pangolin is out on 26th April 2012.

Beans

I'm pretty new to Linux and want a stable os to play with. Should I wait for 11.10?

and what time is it actually being released? I've had issues with 11.04 so far and was hoping that the release of 11.10 may fix this, or am I being to idealistic?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hey,

If you're looking for stability, you should probably go for one of the older versions which are still supported. It takes a month or two to iron out some of the glitches with a new release.

11.04 overhauled the basic UI framework and a lot of people experienced problems with it. I had to use the fallback option and revert to Ubuntu Classic, and I've never had a problem with an Ubuntu release since Gutsy Gibbon. Saying this, all the beta releases of 11.10 have worked flawlessly for me so far.

Not sure exactly when they will put it up for release, but it's not far off. If you run "lsb_release -a" in terminal you will see they are close.

Cosmic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SamHack View Post
    I'm pretty new to Linux and want a stable os to play with. Should I wait for 11.10?

and what time is it actually being released? I've had issues with 11.04 so far and was hoping that the release of 11.10 may fix this, or am I being to idealistic?
    Many users wait a couple of weeks before upgrading/installing a new version, to give the developers a chance to finish fixing some of the bugs.

There is no specific time for the final to be released. There were a couple of major bugs discovered in the last round of image testing, that have been fixed, and the images are being rebuilt, but they will need to be tested before the final version is released.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicFlux View Post
    Hey,

If you're looking for stability, you should probably go for one of the older versions which are still supported. It takes a month or two to iron out some of the glitches with a new release.

11.04 overhauled the basic UI framework and a lot of people experienced problems with it. I had to use the fallback option and revert to Ubuntu Classic, and I've never had a problem with an Ubuntu release since Gutsy Gibbon. Saying this, all the beta releases of 11.10 have worked flawlessly for me so far.

Not sure exactly when they will put it up for release, but it's not far off. If you run "lsb_release -a" in terminal you will see they are close.

Cosmic
    Well I may give it a go as I really haven't had much luck with Linux so far. I mainly asked about the release as I found a download for it but wasn't sure if it was a beta a beta

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SamHack View Post
    It could well be released at 11:10. But in which time zone?

I switched to Kubuntu after the 11.04 release as I wasn't happy with its version of Unity. For me, using a live CD, Ubuntu 11.10 has been a great improvement. Kubuntu 11.10 is quite good too.
    I'm a regular contributor to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter. Want to help?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast