Thread: Xubuntu 11.10 desktop from software center

Beans

[SOLVED] Xubuntu 11.10 desktop from software center

I'm wondering when I can, or if I can, add Xubuntu 11.10 desktop from the software center after its release next week? I have Ubuntu 11.04 already, I'm just wanting to add the new Xubuntu desktop to it after the release. Can I do this from the software center or synaptic package manager? Or even from the command line?
    Thoughts?
    Thanks!
    KBD47
    Last edited by KBD47; October 9th, 2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: [SOLVED]

Beans

Re: Xubuntu 11.10 desktop from software center

The short answer is: NO

The longer answer is: every release comes with its own packages, 11.04 comes with its own xfce, 11.10 comes with a newer xfce.

The longest answer is: there may be a way to circumvent this for some packages, but it is too much trouble; Ubuntu is not designed to work as a rolling release.

Why do you want the newer xfce? It is the same XFCE 4.8 maybe with a few bugs fixed, there are no new features or anything of that sort.

Beans

I was not aware that there were not many changes in the new Xubuntu. It probably is not worth fooling with then. I know how to add Xubuntu desktop to Ubuntu from the software center, I suppose I could upgrade 11.04 Xubuntu to 11.10, but if there are not many changes it probably is not worth it, especially if it could break my system.
    Thanks!
    KBD47

Beans
    Hidden!

But If you upgrade your distribution to 11.10 hen you can taste the Xubuntu desktop by following this command.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

True. Thank you!
    KBD47