Thread: Ubuntu Minimal CD Install; Black Screen

Beans

Ubuntu Minimal CD Install; Black Screen

So, I used the Ubuntu Minimal Install CD, installed the base files.

Took out the install disk, rebooted, got a black screen.

If I press CTRL+ALT+F1, it brings up tty1, and everything is fine from there.

Isn't it supposed to show me tty1 from the get-go? I expected to see a command line when I loaded my PC, not a black screen

Is this working as intended, or did I do something wrong?

It's on a Dell GX270, can post more specific information if needed, although I wouldn't think it'd be very relevant.

Thanks in advance!
    Tom

EDIT: Using 11.04 minimal CD, just downloaded and burned today.
    Last edited by tgftw; October 9th, 2011 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Ubuntu Version

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Minimal CD Install; Black Screen

Quote Originally Posted by tgftw View Post
    So, I used the Ubuntu Minimal Install CD, installed the base files.

Took out the install disk, rebooted, got a black screen.

If I press CTRL+ALT+F1, it brings up tty1, and everything is fine from there.

Isn't it supposed to show me tty1 from the get-go? I expected to see a command line when I loaded my PC, not a black screen

Is this working as intended, or did I do something wrong?

It's on a Dell GX270, can post more specific information if needed, although I wouldn't think it'd be very relevant.

Thanks in advance!
    Tom

EDIT: Using 11.04 minimal CD, just downloaded and burned today.
    Since this is on a Minimal install, read all, before trying to solve.

There is two options for Minimal installation on that disk Graphical and Text mode. I assume you did Graphical.. That is option 1 and just says "Install".

When it came to the "Software Selection"... what software package did you select and install? At that screen of the install, is where the Desktop Environments are chosen (along with other packages.) From what I've noticed, , if you don't select a DE, it starts Xorg-server then locks up at a black-screen because there is no Desktop installed to load up...

If you did not install a DE- Since you "can" get to tty1,
    Code:
    sudo tasksel
    Will bring the app from that screen back up for you to install a DE, such as Ubuntu...

If that doesn't work, no problem... Reinstall. Look for that screen to come up. It near the end of the install process, just before the Grub install process. In the scrolling text box is the packages with checkboxes before each. It starts out with server package... The Desktop Environment packages are down below near the end (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc).

*** If you did install a DE and you get this black screen then you just need to install a video driver for your card... will wait to hear from your before I go on with that, if needed.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 9th, 2011 at 03:00 AM.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    When it came to the "Software Selection"... what software package did you select and install? At that screen of the install, is where the Desktop Environments are chosen (along with other packages.) From what I've noticed, , if you don't select a DE, it starts Xorg-server then locks up at a black-screen because there is no Desktop installed to load up...
    Well, yes, this is the problem. I've since installed a desktop environment (LXDE) and everything is working smoothly with that.

However, you shouldn't have to have a desktop environment, several Ubuntu implementations can function well with just a command line.

I guess it's just a little quirk that I didn't expect, not a big deal, just wasn't sure if there was some way to go without a DE without the strange beginning.

I'd say it's solved though, sounds like it just works that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just in case other people see this.

Booting into a black screen when you installed the command line on the Minimal CD it's a bug. (More info here: Bug #695658, Bug #700686, and Bug #831752).

To fix it, as explained in Bug #695658:
    (1) Edit /etc/grub.d/10_linux (e.g. "sudo nano -w /etc/grub.d/10_linux") and comment out the line containing "vt.handoff", or change the number from 7 to some lower number. (I tried it both ways; they both worked.)
    (2) Run "sudo update-grub" to apply the new configuration.
    (3) Reboot. A usable virtual terminal with a login prompt comes up automatically.
    IMHO it seems that they are making sure the bug won't happen in 11.10, but I see no resolution yet to fix the previous versions.

Regards.